Hasama sadly taking some internet heat over MegaMouth incident...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jagfish

The man behind the fish
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
"Feedback" videos are already going viral (from shark/marine conservancy organizations) in the aftermath of the Megamouth brief capture and subsequent death. Luckily, the one caught in Mie a day or two later, was (relatively) quickly released.

Why do you say "Hasama sadly taking some internet heat"?

I think there is a big difference between someone quickly tagging a shark & letting it go...& what I saw in the full video as shown by Jagfish. Divers were diving with it & pawing it. This isn't ok. It also looks as if they were doing the same to a Mola Mola.

Why do you say "Hasama sadly taking some internet heat"?

I think there is a big difference between someone quickly tagging a shark & letting it go...& what I saw in the full video as shown by Jagfish. Divers were diving with it & pawing it. This isn't ok. It also looks as if they were doing the same to a Mola Mola.
Agreed...they also have threshers in those pens sometimes...
...but this was in a class by itself for me, since it was such a rare, deep water fish. I think the first one ever seen (my modern humans) was not until 1986.

man..once I move back to Tokyo next year I hope I get a chance to cut open these pens, that is just deplorable treating them like that..

man..once I move back to Tokyo next year I hope I get a chance to cut open these pens, that is just deplorable treating them like that..

I'm hoping that the internet outcry will make them think twice about doing this. Because even if you cut the nets, they can get more. But if they realize the error of their ways or at least recognize this is costing them business, then perhaps they will actually stop.

Ah, to be fair...this one isn't exactly viral, but does make some good points that I was asking myself when I heard/saw the capture/captivity...

That video is plain disgusting!

Ugh! Threshers as well...you've seen this yourself? wth is wrong with them?
I've not seen the threshers, or even Mola Mola myself...just videos...
Shame...it's quite a long-standing operation...

I saw more details that there was some pressure from the newspapers to get some footage for the news. Apparently that diver in the video touching the megamouth was a journalist and the newspaper was asking for footage like that. I am deeply saddened that in order to "make the news" this had to happen. I think the backlash was also pretty big in Japanese diving circles and I hope enough word of mouth made it back to those involved, making them think twice again to do this. I hope the fact of the second one being released promptly was proof of this.

Only leave bubbles behind.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom