Jupiter diver in trauma center after ‘upper extremity’ injury

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, the guy is grossly overweight and shouldn't even be diving. Wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't make a stop at the Cardiac Cath Lab, while he's in the hospital. Seriously though, The county's only trauma helicopter was not available for anyone else while taking care of this individual. Imagine if a child in an accident had to be airlifted?

That's a really awful statement all around. Just try to be a bit more compassionate. I certainly hope Randy heals right away, and I'm glad he was transported via helicopter. The rescue teams know how to prioritize and do their jobs.

I've dove with Randy more times than I can count....... He conducts his dives as safely as one can conduct this type of dive. That said, the trips he conducts are definitely "advanced" in nature..... You are expected to be at the "second nature" experience level with all things SCUBA-related such as buoyancy, MOD, gas and bottom time monitoring, drift diving, reel and lift bag deployment, etc.. No one gets coddled like happens on countless Caribbean cattle boats. Newby divers are routinely turned away.....

Dive briefings begin at the dock with a statement to the effect that we are purposely going out to bait, attract, and feed sharks.... they will come, there will me many (on most days) and they will be big. Anyone not comfortable with this is invited to disembark with no ill feelings. On the actual dives, 1st time participants are relegated to a vantage point on top of a wreck a good 30 feet above and behind where the feeding is taking place.... Only after a certain comfort level is observed are new participants invited down for a closer look. No one handles bait or feeds sharks other than Randy and/or his employed diver(s).

I've done a lot of crazy shite both in and out of the water..... I am still walking this earth through a mixture of dumb luck and the grace of God..... I can tell anyone here from personal experience that Randy's shark feeding dives are neither reckless nor conducted unsafely...... That said..... shite happens once you separate ass from couch.

"Diving isn't safe, but it can be done safely." - I could not have summed it up any better....

Exactly!

I would be pissed if I was turned away from a dive.

Turn the tables around. You're liable for everyone's safety, and if you don't feel comfortable with a particular passenger, you should not have to be taking on the responsibility. Even when everyone is totally "experienced" and doing things right, things can go wrong. It's a big ocean out there.

I could be wrong but I don't think the poster was talking about YOU
He was referring to someone else. So? Quite possibly, this was a good natured jab, but it was lost without any biofeedback for us to gauge it on. However, I've heard people say this and mean it, and it disappoints and angers me when that is the case.

So basically captains are just dicks.

You're again coming at it from the wrong angle. If a captain doesn't think you're fit to be on the boat, he is basically saving your life. Take it as feedback and get better. I do NOT want to be a on a boat that takes just anyone. It's a liability for everyone on the trip.

You're again coming at it from the wrong angle. If a captain doesn't think you're fit to be on the boat, he is basically saving your life. Take it as feedback and get better. I do NOT want to be a on a boat that takes just anyone. It's a liability for everyone on the trip.
Nah, boats that take everyone are fine. As long as they are doing the kind of easy dives that should be well within the capability of any certified diver. They are just usually not as much fun as boats that do more challenging types of dives.

Nah, boats that take everyone are fine. As long as they are doing the kind of easy dives that should be well within the capability of any certified diver. They are just usually not as much fun as boats that do more challenging types of dives.

I personally don't go on those cattle boats anymore. Personal style that works for me. Of course, it's a generalization, but so many people have no idea what they're doing on those type of trips. It actually makes me nervous enough to just skip it altogether. The more you know the more you see what could go wrong! :) :0

Boats like that tend to be exclusive, and maybe the only boat going to where they do, doing what they do, and they don't need someone along who doesn't fit in with the plan. So, maybe you can find another ride, and maybe you can't. I know folks on the boats full list for any decent boat from Block Island to Key West, and yes, we do talk to each other. There really is a boat's full list.

This boat can charge what it wants. There is always someone standing behind you that wants your spot. Divers pay ahead of time, and if you're late, the boat leaves without you. These are advanced OW dives, and Randy requires Nitrox/AOW as a minimum. DM is clear about who's in charge (he is), and that he's not there to babysit divers. I've actually seen him kick people off the dive (made them go back to the boat) because they couldn't follow directions.

I dive 3 operators out of Boynton Beach, Florida. One more routinely has a more experienced clientele and more commonly does advanced dives. However, the other two do drops for more experienced divers as well as the less experienced. Everyone wins and is happy with the diving.

I personally don't go on those cattle boats anymore. Personal style that works for me. Of course, it's a generalization, but so many people have no idea what they're doing on those type of trips. It actually makes me nervous enough to just skip it altogether. The more you know the more you see what could go wrong! :) :0
I dive 2 boats out of Boynton Beach, FL that makes this point. One boat has a maximum of 13 divers, when full, it is extremely crowded with barely a place to walk. The other boat takes up to 17 or 18 divers but seems much less crowed. This is mainly due to storage and open space that allows you to safely move around. If divers would stop bringing luggage with them, and all kinds of unnecessary stuff, these problems would be much alleviated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom