Documented Max Depth of GC North Walls?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stever2002

Contributor
Reaction score
I've heard everything from 3,000 - 6,000 ft. Is there any sort of topological map showing the actual depths of the area? I just want to separate the truth from the fish stories .

-PH

caribbathymetric.gif

i-Boating : Free Marine Navigation Charts & Fishing Maps

The charts show the depths at the walls we dive on to be quite deep, but it's hundreds of feet - not thousands.

The really deep bottom often stated as being at the bottom of those walls/sheer drop offs appears to be a little further offshore and is many thousands of feet!

Thanks. I was told that the base of Princess Penny's Pinnacle was 6,000 feet. I'm thinking that is an exaggeration, unless anyone has evidence to the contrary.

-PH

From land, you are deeper than 1000 feet within 400 yards, and deeper than 3,000 feet in less than a mile. That's pretty steep. My charts show the surrounding water of Princess Penny's Pinnacle to be 600 feet or so on the deep side.

Thanks. I was told that the base of Princess Penny's Pinnacle was 6,000 feet. I'm thinking that is an exaggeration, unless anyone has evidence to the contrary.

-PH
I really depends on what you mean by "base." Is the base defined as where the bottom flattens out?

I guess I'd like to see the charts that detail Penny's Pinical; I'm having a hard time visualizing the fall-off in both depth and distance from the base.

You can play with the chart in post #3.
Penny's Pinnacle is at 19.3848, -81.33153 according to the web.

Navionics Webapp should help.

The north wall areas drops quite quickly to 650ft and then slopes off to roughly 1000ft by about 0.4nm offshore.

3000ft is hit about 1nm offshore.

There is a sonar contour chart of Princess Penny's Pinnacle here:- Navionics Webapp

Not high enough res to see the pinnacle (which bottoms out at 150 or so anyway) but can see a fair slope to wall. Further east it gets much steeper for a portion before sloping again.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom