Decompression sickness: Driving from Hilo to Kona after diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'll be on the big island next week. I can't wait to get back underwater! I'm going to visit a friend who lives in Hilo and we are going to plan some dives over in Kona for a day or so. I have read, however, that driving back to Hilo over Saddle Road is very much a risky move for decompression sickness as Saddle Road tops out around 6000-6500 feet. (1800-1900m)

I remember the cardinal rule about never flying after diving...and the Big Island is unique in many ways. I've been told that staying under 2k feet (610m) for 12 hours is recommended. My buddy thinks we will be okay to drive back to his house but I'm not so sure. I always say, safety first!

I say we elect to spend the money and stay in a hotel overnight and not chance it. But my buddy thinks it's not that big of deal as he drives that road all the time, he just doesn't dive unless I'm there. Any advice from you pro's? Thank you.

Having been to the Big Island 8 times and being very familiar with Saddle Road, I would err on the side of caution and get a room for the night in Kona.

I think it varies some but commercial airline cabins are pressurized to about 7,000 feet according to my skydiving altimeter that I have worn on several flights. That road is approximately the equivalent of flying commercial. Others here are more informed than I am. I would not do it.

You could mitigate it somewhat by only diving in the morning, hanging around Kona for dinner then taking the south road (state 11) all the way around the south end but it still climbs to just under 4000' near the town of Volcano.

I haven't been past there so IDK the elevation of the stretch between there and Hilo.

I'm not an expert so my advice is worth what's written here.

I don't believe there's a chamber there any longer so weigh the cost of hanging out in Kona overnight vs. a medivac to Maui if your friend is wrong.

Last edited:
Where are you flying in to and out of? Do you have the flexibility in your schedule to visit your friend first and then do the drive over to Kona? If that is an option, then you might be able to visit your friend in Hilo first and then do the drive to Kona with no fear of DCS.

I wouldn't do that. Good for you for resisting being talked into doing something unsafe. Maybe you'd be ok, maybe not, but why take an unnecessary risk?

I would dive in the morning, have lunch and then take 19 through Waimea. It only gets up to 2700 feet but after a longer lunch you may be OK. It's only about 20 miles more than the Saddle Road. Either that or stay in Kona for a night.

When im in Hawaii and making that drive, I use the NOAA Ascent to Altitude table with the noaa dive tables to roughly justify if it is reasonable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom