Advanced cert?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mullannix930

Contributor
Reaction score
I live in an area that is tough to get my deep dive for advanced, thus the question. If I took the specialty classes for Navigation, Drysuit, Nitrox, another specialty, and then got my Deep specialty would that give me the Advanced cert? I would have to plan a special trip for the deep cert but can get the others (or have the specialty already) locally with no problem.

Yes, it would. You are not required to take all of the dives together or from the same school/instructor.

The dives do need to be performed as adventure dives and properly documented by the instructor who does it. The instructor who does the last required dive will be able to issue the certification.

R..

I know I don't have to take the dives together (not meant to sound snippy). What I meant was, If I take the full specialty classes over the next 2 years (Nitrox, Navigation, Drysuit, Deep, and one other full class) would that count for my Advanced? I know the 1st dive for each counts toward my advanced, but what if I got all of the specialty classes and then got y deep specialty? I can do all of the specialties that I am interested within a 20 minute drive of my home but the Deep dive would require a minimum of a 5-6 hour drive.

Sorry about that, I didn't fully understand the question, evidently.

There is no time limit for completing the adventure dives (or specialties). The instructor who does the last qualifying dive, whenever that is, can certify you for Advanced.

R..

Talk with your shop. See what kind of deal they present to you for getting the Deep Dive elsewhere. I was offered "Adventure Diver" until the shop boat went out 2 days before we left Florida, so I did get AOW. Man, it's stupid sometimes.

Last edited:
Thanks. On the Shop side of it... I won't go to my local shop again, for reasons that I won't get into other than to say... Business Practices when it comes to anything they see as competition. I have 2 instructors (one PADI SDI/TDI and one NAUI) in my area that I trust completely. I am going to see if I can get the Specialty courses other than deep over the next few months. Deep won't happen for a year most likely.

Just be sure you can get what you want to get..... ei. Yes of course, the Deep Specialty Cert. would complete your AOW, and yes, you can get 4 other specialty dives and do the 5th one (Deep) elsewhere. But be sure the people you do these with understand what you're doing and don't double charge you for anything--when you now decide to take something elsewhere.....

Ei.: "Well, we only do the full course here and charge you for it, regardless of what you took elsewhere".......

Yes, that will work. My wife and I did that picking a specialty once a year. Eventually we had our AOW and then did the PADI Rescue and had a Master Diver card handed to us. (Master Diver is a useless card that has the only benefit of impressing non-divers.)

Its the way I would recommend. The cost is the downside, but the knowledge gained with the slower pace and the compete specialties is a big plus.

Just make sure that before signing up for the deep specialty, you have one of your instructors certify you as an adventure diver. It's a minimum prerequisite to take the deep specialty course (assuming you are doing it through PADI). Your other specialties will qualify you for the adventure diver cert.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom