Keys Vacation and AOW certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Russoft

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Another tourist asking for advice thread...

Planning a family vacation to the Keys over the summer. It'll be me, my wife, our infant, my sister, her husband, and their toddler. We're staying in Tavernier for 10 days in late July and plan to trade babysitting duties while the other couple gets in some diving (all four of us are divers).

My wife and I want to do our AOW certification during the trip, as we're not interested in certifying locally (the water temperature below the thermocline in the quarries and lakes here is COLD).

I've already done a bunch of research, but I still have a few questions:

1.) Do we need to book the AOW course in advance? If so, how far in advance? Are dive centers near Tavernier (Islamorada, Tavernier, and Key Largo) usually booked full? I prefer to see the dive shop and talk to the staff before giving them my money (even though I've created a short list based on pricing and recommendations from SB). But I suspect dive shops are pretty busy that time of year and last minute drop-ins can't be accommodated easily.

2.)Any decent snorkeling off the beach for off days? If so, where? I know diving off the beach isn't great in the Keys due to shallow depths, but is there any coral or fish to see just off shore? I suspect we'll quickly spend all our diving budget then need to find cheap things to do.

3.)To that end, are there any highly recommended on-shore activities, tours, restaurants, etc?

Whoever you choose, I would definitely schedule the class in advance. There will probably be "book work" which you can do online before you get there and you want to make sure your selected instructor isn't busy doing something else.

I'd be looking at Florida Keys Dive Center, just based on your location. Not that they're especially better than other operators, but you'll have to drive right past it every day if you're going across the little bridge to Key Largo.

Re: Beach diving/snorkeling. The only place in the upper keys that I'm aware of is John Pennenkamp Coral Reef State Park. Actually, I think the Hilton has a small beach you could snorkel in. It's on the gulf side, and if you've got to be staying there to get access.

Last edited:
Conch Republic is in Tavernier. I dive with them often and my bet is that they can accommodate you. Rainbow Reef is also well known for training.

I'd also make arrangements ahead of time. If you wait until the last minute, good instructors may already be booked.

If your conscience allows you to swim with captive dolphins, there are several places to do so. One place is theater of the seas, it's sort of like a 1950s version of SeaWorld another is dolphin plus: it's not a theme park and focuses solely on dolphin encounters.

The rain barrel art village is also kind of fun if you want to see artists at work and buy the art.

History of diving museum is a must for any diver

My wife and I want to do our AOW certification during the trip, as we're not interested in certifying locally (the water temperature below the thermocline in the quarries and lakes here is COLD).

Heh. I took AOW in Brainerd and OWD in Key West. I was in my new favorite mud puddle in Eagan yesterday and it was 50 degrees below the thermocline. The thermocline was at 12'. Fantastic dive, though, three turtles, a large northern, quite a few large bass, and a curious pumpkinseed that swam up to my mask and then nibbled on my finger. I think I'm going to go to another mud puddle today, but I'm wearing my gloves this time. (For the cold, not for the pumpkinseed)

1.) Do we need to book the AOW course in advance? If so, how far in advance? Are dive centers near Tavernier (Islamorada, Tavernier, and Key Largo) usually booked full? I prefer to see the dive shop and talk to the staff before giving them my money (even though I've created a short list based on pricing and recommendations from SB). But I suspect dive shops are pretty busy that time of year and last minute drop-ins can't be accommodated easily.

I sure would set it up in advance. They have to line up an instructor as well as a boat, and they'll at least try to get more than one student in the class. I've used Conch Republic Divers in Tavernier. They're good. Then again there are many fine operators in the Keys.

2.)Any decent snorkeling off the beach for off days? If so, where? I know diving off the beach isn't great in the Keys due to shallow depths, but is there any coral or fish to see just off shore? I suspect we'll quickly spend all our diving budget then need to find cheap things to do.

I've snorkeled Bahia Honda state park and had fun, but there isn't really any coral. There are some sponges and maybe some fan coral but nothing dramatic.

3.)To that end, are there any highly recommended on-shore activities, tours, restaurants, etc?

Captain Hook's runs a sunset cruise on one of their dive boats that would be convenient and fun. I would recommend Wahoo's bar and grill and the Sunset grill as both being fun places with good food. Both in Islamorada iirc.

I've been out with Conch Republic a few times, had my kids get certified there; good boat, good people. Lots of operators down there; probably hard to make a bad pick; have a great time.

You said the end of July. This year Lobster mini-season is July 26-27th. If you want to dive those days it may impact you so you want to plan it out early.

I agree with most of what has been said here. If you're staying in Tavernier, exchanging babysitting duties, and it would be most convenient to dive nearby, I would highly recommend Conch Republic Divers. Captain Gary posts here frequently and I have a high opinion of him. I'm sure they would be glad to help you.

If you are up to the short drive to Key Largo, I would highly recommend the able staff at Rainbow Reef Dive Center. (www.rainbowreef.us) They are the #1 PADI IDC in the United States, and there are plenty of knowledgeable instructors on staff to meet your training needs. At the same time, they have 5 boats running to provide the capacity needed for a busy weekend in late July.

That being said, reserving as far in advance as possible is always a great idea in the Keys!

I highly recommend the Islamorada Dive Center. I have used them on two dive trips in the keys and had great experiences both times. My brother did his open water certification with them and also had a great experience. If you do choose to use them
I would give them a call and let them know you are coming. They were very accommodating when it came to planning my dives. The Eagle is a great wreck dive that is close to the dive center. You can definitely do your deep dive and wreck dive at this site as part of your AOW. Whoever you choose you will have a great time, the keys has some excellent diving.

Everyone has covered the details for you, we did our AOW on vacation in the keys a number of years back- doing my first deep dive on the spiegel right after she went down was awesome!
I also try to fit in cheap shore snorkeling when in the keys, as long as you don't expect too much it can be OK. Pennekamp cannon beach is nice and safe to take kids to. Viz isn't great, but there are fish and it is protected, so no dive flag needed. I have also driven down to Bahai Honda, this will be about a hour &15 depending on traffic from tavernier. The bay side wasn't great for snorkeling apart from near the piling, but the current was strong there, elsewhere on that side there is mostly sea grass bottom and it's ok for kids and no dive flag in this side. The ocean side was much better, I really enjoyed this both times I have been, very shallow and lots of fishies to spy for free.. you are supposed to tow a dive flag, but we didn't and neither did anyone else when we were there. To be honest I think you would need one of those ones that clips to a snorkel as it's so shallow in parts.
I have snorkelled at the Hilton beach, not worth it in my opinion (and I am easily pleased looking at one fish in a pile of mud).
Other things to do for cheap/free, go to feed the tarpon at Robbie's in islamorada, really fun :). The dive museaum is cool for divers, not very interesting for kids though, unless they are into diving!
Have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom