Suunto SK7 mount question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catalyst81

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
New diver here so forgive the ignorance. I found a used Suunto SK7 mounted in a retractable quick release clip. Are these compasses modular in the sense that if I wanted it on a wrist mount I could dissemble it and install it in a different mount?

Thanks for the help. The DSS mount was the one I was considering using.

How do you remove the compass from the wrist mount, does the bezel need to come off? Any videos out there?

How do you remove the compass from the wrist mount, does the bezel need to come off? Any videos out there?

Yes, the bezel pops out.
Then the sealed compass module comes out of the wrist mount.

Do the reverse to mount it in the new mount.

Video:

The SK7 on retractor is most convenient, easiest to read and most accurate in this configuration. The only other configuration that can be even better is SK7 on a navigation slate with a retractor.

The SK7 on retractor is most convenient, easiest to read and most accurate in this configuration. The only other configuration that can be even better is SK7 on a navigation slate with a retractor.

The accuracy of a compass is not depending on where you mount it.

correct, but the divers ability to use it accurately is dependent on the ability to get the direction of travel indicator bisecting the body. That is very difficult while on a wrist. Wrist is good enough for short range navigation or getting general directions of travel, but is not nearly accurate enough for long range or blue water navigation

How you mount it determines how you hold it and how you read it and at the end determines how accurate your navigation will be. Read more about navigation boards.

Had you taken the "NAUI Master Scuba Diver" course with a NAUI Instructor, you would have learned more about it and understood what the statement meant and gained better underwater navigation skills :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom