Query on diving gear online shops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Love DGX for online, but for BCD, Wet suit etc... stuff that needs fitting I go to the LDS.

I want to share a trick that have saved me hundreds of dollars. For LeisurePro, if you add items to your cart, start to check out, then close the session before completing it, in a few weeks you may receive significant "Instant Savings" applied automatically to your cart. I've gotten as much as 35% off my total cart price.

It works every time! So plan ahead and wait for big discounts!!

I have bought from a couple of online shops. For the most part I was happy. I did have a couple of super deals that I canceled because I was shocked that when I got to the checkout they were charging insane amounts for shipping that is some cases wiped out the savings. I try to buy from my LDS as much as possible. I buy my dive video gear online because I use the cheap Gopro clones my shop doesn't sell. I will make some purchases where I am buying clearance items that are hard to find. My last purchase was a pair of clearance boots for $19.95/free shipping. If you can, buy from the shop where you fill your tank. If the money is that big a deal, tell them what you are interested in and what types of prices you have seen. They may be willing to offer a comparable deal or explain why they can't (the online super bargain may well be a gray market product with no Manufacturer warranty). I pay for gear in cash, that is usually good for a discount since the credit cards will charge them 3%. No shipping, no mailing back and forth, if they make a special order, it is on them if there is a problem. I also can't order airfills online and they can't stay in business if I make all my big purchases from an out of town warehouse.I am going to the Caymans in March on a trip arranged through the shop. I looked at a few options through other vendors and they had one of the best deals, with the fewest hassles.

Don't window shop the store and then buy online, because the online store isn't going to pay the LDS for their time and expertise. How much are really going to save?

Two local dive shops near me closed last month, before Christmas!! Luckily my chosen LDS are still surviving. I will buy what i can from them, while i can.

3 dive shops in RI are gone in the last couple of years. If I want to do a night dive, I will either do a lot more driving or start hauling more tanks. Any shop owners want comment on the economics of tank fills?

Cape Ann Divers closed their shop and charters. Yet to see how a mail order company is going to fill that gap.

I for forgot that Lansing Michigan is such dive destination that the shops in that area can support themselves just on air fills and hydros.... I guess they have bustling summer trade to support them...

Back
Top Bottom