Camping in the Keys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rickym96

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Thinking about doing a camping trip/dive trip this summer(June-July) to the Florida Keys but I am wanting to be able to move around every couple days to different locations, moving down through the different Keys as I drive south. Would it be possible to do this and not have to book the camp site in advance? I would like to have the freedom to stay in a spot till I felt ready to move and then go to the next camp ground and get a tent camping location for a night or two and continue that pattern. Can it be done?

There is camping in the Keys. However I personally would not do it in a tent in the summer. It is very hot and humid and i know i wouldnt sleep well. I am not sure how booked they are in the summer if you need to book in advance.

I do not believe you will have a problem getting a tent site that time of year....I'd search Florida Keys Camping, and start making calls. Like was mentioned above....this is a tough time of the year to be outdoors....he forgot to mention the No See Ums....little biting midges....you can react similar to chigger bites...and the skeeters that can carry you off....so consider yourself informed about that! Good luck!

I have camped in the Keys in the early fall and used a fan at night with tent sights that have electricity and that seemed to work well but the trips were always planed months in advance.

I don't think you will get a tent site at all, except maybe during the week. Weekends are now booked a year in advance at the state parks. RV parks typically don't allow tents. So, to answer your question, maybe.

I just did a Bahia Honda search...nothing available in tent or tent/RV for June or July....from stay of 5 to 30 days

Thursday June 29th.....the only day available in June/July...

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom