Online Scuba Class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I enjoyed the SDI online course. The videos were pretty good at explaining everything. I also created my own hard copy though while doing it, so I actually have a binder that I created with written notes on the margins etc so when I went in for the review I was all set.

The wife and I haven't taken a course since 2002, so no online for us. Our children (13,13 and 15) just got certified in December. Did a bubble blower type thing with an instructor, no skills or anything, just playing games, and swimming, to assess their comfort level. Followed that with the Padi online OW, and then pool and checkouts on Bonaire. They all did really well on the in person exam an training. So I would recommend the online course, especially if the person has some familiarity with the equipment.

I did the online PADI OW course. I thought it was a very effective way to convey the academic material. But, I regret not having the books. And since I did my dives in the Caribbean I also missed the opportunity to develop a strong relationship with a local LDS and instructor. I thought my instructor did a great job - but I can't exactly drop by to chat.

That's a downside. I review a page or two from one of my manuals daily though I doubt I need to--well, other than the EFR/CPR ones. If I didn't do that daily (as well as how to assemble the 02 kit since I don't own one) I would soon forget the stuff.
For online courses can you pull them up on the computer anytime to review--since you paid for it?

That's a downside. I review a page or two from one of my manuals daily though I doubt I need to--well, other than the EFR/CPR ones. If I didn't do that daily (as well as how to assemble the 02 kit since I don't own one) I would soon forget the stuff.
For online courses can you pull them up on the computer anytime to review--since you paid for it?
I know for SDI you can log in and review any course you have taken online, go to any chapter etc.

Online courses are ideal for people who actually want to learn the content.

In particular, they are of great use when teaching in resort based environments because the student can access the material in advance and work through it at their own pace as opposed to trying to cram the information in a given period during their vacation.

I was against the idea of online courses when they first came out but having seen years of results now, I fully support it.

People have stated that everybody has different learning styles, I agree with this but even so, the online learning should be supported with instructor time to clarify and reinforce anything that was not clear to the student while studying.

When it first came out I was strongly against it. Now I am in the camp of great! Gives me more time to add discussion of gas management, dive planning, rescue considerations, diving in local conditions, and letting the students get more involved in deciding what they are going to want to do.
Bryan Carney of SDI/TDI has said that on-line resources should augment the classroom, not replace it.
I usually certify via SEI who currently does not have an on-line program, but if someone wanted to do the SDI on-line class I'd certainly accommodate it. It wouldn't change the amount of time we spent in the classroom though. We'd just cover more detailed material. It also would not reduce the cost of the class that they pay me.

It's been more than 6 months since I did my SDI OW and Nitrox classes and I still go back and review the online portions every now and then. I'd actually like to have the books for easier reference. For that specific reason, I chose not to do the online learning for my Advanced course this summer.

I figured there were probably videos with the Online. This is probably another plus, especially for some students. I didn't know at the time that there were PADI videos online for demonstrating skills in the DM course--this may have speeded up my certification.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom