NITROX marked tanks MUST be filled to 24% or greater?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

and we get those from where?

Ebay for standard valves. For OMS or Blue Steel valves I have yet to find a supplier other than for nylon seats

I was told that inline valves are better suited to oxygen because of the more direct gas path trough the valve.

I was told that inline valves are better suited to oxygen because of the more direct gas path trough the valve.
I don't think so, but I'm going to study up some. Maybe there are fewer sharp turns, but the one through the seat is the one of concern.

But putting it into context, how many fires do we have per year, per number of tanks etc all over the world (not withstanding those that are not reported). A very very small number in proportion, so we must be doing most things right, and the risk not as significant even with badly designed valves.

Slow and steady wins the O2 filling race.

That is not correct. I tried to say ******** - rhymes with smullshit - but apparently that is a word that is censored on this fine site.

Does my trimix 15 / 50 put me in violation of federal law? Lol.

My vote is yes. perhaps shakey ground but all tanks are to be marked as to its contents. Now the shakey part is whether that is personal use or commercial use. The default i have assumed is that no label means atmospheric air. Or no deviation from what one normally breaths with out special breathing devices at 1 ATM. A nitrox sticker says alternate air that is only of a higher O2 content. Nitrox sticker does not permit use as trimix. alternatives to teh content being marked for nitrox is the tank being marked with a MOD.

I sometimes fill my nitrox tanks
with air. Never had a dive shop complain. But it's always the same shop and always the same fill station. I don't think that a tank filled with nitrox can only be filled that way, though it's certainly more profitable for the dive shop to insist upon such a policy.
I have one site that follows that so called rule. If i have a tank and want it filled with air and it has a nitrox band they fill it and follow the nitrox process. nitrox card logs and gas checks. costs twice as much to get a tank filled. I know of only one place that does that. certainly things happen by a so called area norm where all shops in a certain area does the same. Most accept that air is notrox but insure that if they (seldom happens) do have both grade e and hyp e they fill with hyp e on a banded tank.

My vote is yes. perhaps shakey ground but all tanks are to be marked as to its contents. Now the shakey part is whether that is personal use or commercial use. The default i have assumed is that no label means atmospheric air. Or no deviation from what one normally breaths with out special breathing devices at 1 ATM. A nitrox sticker says alternate air that is only of a higher O2 content. Nitrox sticker does not permit use as trimix. alternatives to teh content being marked for nitrox is the tank being marked with a MOD.
I label my personal tanks with duct tape indicating analysis / contents - there are no permanent wraps / labels. I label contents solely for my own benefit - not at all concerned about the scuba police, the DOT, OSHA, or the FBI. If I ever get cited or busted - I'll report back here straight away that I was wrong.

If someone who is uncertified tries to breath the gas in those cylinders (or use my rebreather) it will probably end poorly for them. I've never known anyone to try. I control access to my gear - so this probably isn't a thing.

If these were tanks used commercially - totally different situation. More concern would be given to segregate these tanks from divers who were not certified.

If you believe otherwise - I won't argue with you. Do what makes you feel safe.

Best,

I label my personal tanks with duct tape indicating analysis / contents - there are no permanent wraps / labels. I label contents solely for my own benefit - not at all concerned about the scuba police, the DOT, OSHA, or the FBI. If I ever get cited or busted - I'll report back here straight away that I was wrong.

If someone who is uncertified tries to breath the gas in those cylinders (or use my rebreather) it will probably end poorly for them. I've never known anyone to try. I control access to my gear - so this probably isn't a thing.

If these were tanks used commercially - totally different situation. More concern would be given to segregate these tanks from divers who were not certified.

If you believe otherwise - I won't argue with you. Do what makes you feel safe.

Best,
In this case the scuba police is the fill stations acting under the constraints of the federal regs and INS carrier.
I understand your POV i cant argue with it. Its just the world we live in. Most all the liability lies in the fill shop to insure the tank is properly marked as to its contents. The shop falls under commercial constraints. There is no law or reg per se that prohibits filling a tank out of hydro, unless commercially done or commercially transported. Nothing saying that a failed tank can not be taken home and used to fill tires with 500 psi in it. There is a major difference between self regulated and self enforced. Most of the time we here ,,,,we are self regulated. not true we self enforce the existing regs. Some more loosly than others. It can be argued that a nitrox band is a declaration of the contents ENRICHED O2 AIR. And an additionally marking to state the degree of enrichment.

You would never get busted for non labeling , yo are not a commercial entity or doing a service for others.

Its not only if the tanks were used commercially it includes if they are being shipped commercially. There are regs to define that also. As individuals WE almost never fall into them.

I admit hat our community gets caught in the regs that were never intentially intended to apply to us.

Lastly the uncertified tries to use a tank.... The protection is thta they know the tanks contents when they get the tank. I am really surprised that there is not a reg for users to have a tanked marked AIR to avoid the chance of a label falling off a tank and getting used by another thinking the contents is different. My guess is that scba and scuba tanks are default air unless marked differently.

Its a lawyers game.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom