Diving near Cornwall.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swimmer_spe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I plan on staying along the Long Sault Parkway this summer. Are there good dive sites around there? How do I go about diving there?

Dude there is nothing but good diving all over that area.
East Cliff Hall mentioned above is a sweet dive, big old freighter sitting in about 70ft of water. High current but most of your dive would be sheltered by the wreck. Definitely require a charter unless you have a beefy scooter (about 70 min run time launching from Chrysler marina if I remember correctly).

Lock 23 (Entry at end of Agusta street in Morrisburg, few blocks west of boat launch) is a drift from shore, lots of old building foundations/basements, many with old machinery in them. 60ft max with the bulk of the dive at 20ft. Need 2 cars for this one unless you don't mind a really long walk with your gear.

Lock 21 (Ingleside, Long Sault parkway) is my all time favourite shore dive in that area, I do it every time I'm up that way and intend to dive the heck out of it this summer, would be more than happy to give you a tour. It can be tricky if you've never done it so recommend someone show you your first time. See for yourself, who are you to resist huh?

Dominion Paper factory basement.. Surreal, cool, creepy and awesome all rolled into one. Don't even think about it without guides and proper overhead training but google up some videos. An entire basement of an old factory, underwater. It's a cave dive for all intents and purposes (hence the need for proper training) but definitely something to strive for.

Mille Roches power house and the swing bridge. Can technically be done form shore but another scooter dive. Same folks who can run you out to the East Cliff Hall do runs here as well but can't think of the name off the top of my head.

The Rothesay is a fun little shore dive just west of Prescott, mostly broken up now but it attracts a lot of sea life. Max depth of 30ft, mild current.

The connie is in Cardinal and it's not bad, good for beginners but fun to see if you've never done it. It's literally right off shore and you can see the smoke stack sticking out of the water so it's easy to find.

Just west of the connie is another drift (Gallop canal). Starts with a tiny wreck then you drift through the canal and end up at the Connie (another 2 car drift).

Then you have islanddivers.ca in Rockport, they run charters out to all the wrecks in that area. Keystorm, America, Vickery, Lilly Parsons (both the wreck dive and the sparrow island drift), Kings Horn, Muscallonge etc.

Then a little further west still you have Kingston which has more wrecks than I care to type out :)

Dude there is nothing but good diving all over that area.
East Cliff Hall mentioned above is a sweet dive, big old freighter sitting in about 70ft of water. High current but most of your dive would be sheltered by the wreck. Definitely require a charter unless you have a beefy scooter (about 70 min run time launching from Chrysler marina if I remember correctly).

Lock 23 (Entry at end of Agusta street in Morrisburg, few blocks west of boat launch) is a drift from shore, lots of old building foundations/basements, many with old machinery in them. 60ft max with the bulk of the dive at 20ft. Need 2 cars for this one unless you don't mind a really long walk with your gear.

Lock 21 (Ingleside, Long Sault parkway) is my all time favourite shore dive in that area, I do it every time I'm up that way and intend to dive the heck out of it this summer, would be more than happy to give you a tour. It can be tricky if you've never done it so recommend someone show you your first time. See for yourself, who are you to resist huh?

Dominion Paper factory basement.. Surreal, cool, creepy and awesome all rolled into one. Don't even think about it without guides and proper overhead training but google up some videos. An entire basement of an old factory, underwater. It's a cave dive for all intents and purposes (hence the need for proper training) but definitely something to strive for.

Mille Roches power house and the swing bridge. Can technically be done form shore but another scooter dive. Same folks who can run you out to the East Cliff Hall do runs here as well but can't think of the name off the top of my head.

The Rothesay is a fun little shore dive just west of Prescott, mostly broken up now but it attracts a lot of sea life. Max depth of 30ft, mild current.

The connie is in Cardinal and it's not bad, good for beginners but fun to see if you've never done it. It's literally right off shore and you can see the smoke stack sticking out of the water so it's easy to find.

Just west of the connie is another drift (Gallop canal). Starts with a tiny wreck then you drift through the canal and end up at the Connie (another 2 car drift).

Then you have islanddivers.ca in Rockport, they run charters out to all the wrecks in that area. Keystorm, America, Vickery, Lilly Parsons (both the wreck dive and the sparrow island drift), Kings Horn, Muscallonge etc.

Then a little further west still you have Kingston which has more wrecks than I care to type out :)

You have given me a lot to go for. I would welcome a guide for diving. I do have my cavern cert. So a peak into a basement would be kinda cool.
I do not own a scooter, and would rather not rent equipment. I have everything, except a line reel.

You have given me a lot to go for. I would welcome a guide for diving. I do have my cavern cert. So a peak into a basement would be kinda cool.
I do not own a scooter, and would rather not rent equipment. I have everything, except a line reel.

Cool lets plan a run to lock 21 and lock 23. Without a scooter you won't get to the Dominion dive, it's about a 30min run from Guindon park.
Oh almost forgot about the Gaskin, it's a wreck that's doable from shore if you have doubles. It's located in Brockville and is a nice dive.
As for fills, you can contact either Jen or Mike at undirworld in Brockville or see Dan at Divetech a little further west in Mallorytown. Not sure about fills in Cornwall anymore.

Cool lets plan a run to lock 21 and lock 23. Without a scooter you won't get to the Dominion dive, it's about a 30min run from Guindon park.
Oh almost forgot about the Gaskin, it's a wreck that's doable from shore if you have doubles. It's located in Brockville and is a nice dive.
As for fills, you can contact either Jen or Mike at undirworld in Brockville or see Dan at Divetech a little further west in Mallorytown. Not sure about fills in Cornwall anymore.

I do not have doubles. Are you certified to teach doubles?

I do not have doubles. Are you certified to teach doubles?

I'm not certified to teach anything :)
Generally you just find someone who uses them and learn, along with lots of reading/research. I did take a class when I switched over to side mount but that was only because I didn't know anyone out this way who dove them and that config can be tricky.
GUI has what looks to be an excellent class but you need their rec 1 cert before taking it. I'm sure PADI has a class as well, I suspect if you're cavern certified you meet the requirements.
Pretty sure Divetech can rent you a set of doubles with regs.. So if after some research you're interested in trying them, I would be happy show you how to use them. Maybe do a couple of dives at the Connie with them and see how you take to it.

Back
Top Bottom