Scratches/Perdix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use bungee cord with a cord lock, looped so that if the cord breaks I won't lose the entire unit. the cord lock is cheap to replace and easy to adjust

I thought the plastic film was supposed to be removed before use, and then I scratched the screen on my very first dive with the new computer. Shucks! But A) the scratch is not visible underwater and B) thanks to the hints I've ordered two screen protector films from Dive Gear Express so hopefully I will not scratch it any longer.

And people still ask why I think so highly of SW....

Nobody that has ever had one of their units serviced asks.... I even got a T-shirt when mine came back. I wear it proudly!

I thought the plastic film was supposed to be removed before use, and then I scratched the screen on my very first dive with the new computer. Shucks! But A) the scratch is not visible underwater and B) thanks to the hints I've ordered two screen protector films from Dive Gear Express so hopefully I will not scratch it any longer.

I feel better not having been the only one to remove it:)

I'll bet there are many that have removed them as most electronic products (cell phones, etc.) come with a screen protector that is intended to be removed. When I first received my Perdix AI I also thought it was a screen protector, but just left it on. Learned later that it is intended to be left on - I was just lazy and lucky.

I'll bet there are many that have removed them as most electronic products (cell phones, etc.) come with a screen protector that is intended to be removed. When I first received my Perdix AI I also thought it was a screen protector, but just left it on. Learned later that it is intended to be left on - I was just lazy and lucky.

I think they should put the warning to not remove it on the outside of the wrapper the pouch comes instead of the inside. If one just slides that wrapper off instead of tearing it off, one may not notice there is information on the inside.

I am glad that many of you have done it so I can hopefully learn from your mistakes.
Found out that mine just came in so now I get to be in the cool kids club and actually be able to see my dive computer information.

I can definitely recall reading that I was supposed to leave the protector on. I've put about 30 or 40 dives on my Shearwater so far and I've already chipped the protector a bit, and have scratched up the casing a decent amount.

I ordered an extra screen protector with mine so I knew it needed to stay on due to the upsell.

OK, the real purpose of this update on my opening post is to praise Shearwater. To do so I have to eat some crow. When I received my Perdix AI, I slipped off the wrapper that was on the computer case and didn't notice that on the inside of the wrapper was the warning not to remove the screen protector (one has to tear open the wrapper to see this message). Then, when I looked at the screen it appeared to be a bit wavy. So I figured the screen protector was for shipping only and removed it.

I guess that makes me stupid since I haven't heard of anyone else doing that. The above posts made me rethink what I had done.

I contacted Shearwater, told them what I had done, and asked how much to replace the screen. They said send it in, and we'll fix it. So, last Thursday I sent it Priority, and today (Monday) I have it back with a new screen (face plate), screen protector, battery, O-rings, and pressure and functional tests. No charge.

Not only is this computer a delight to use, but it is backed up by superlative customer support!
Awesome customer service :canada: :goodpost:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom