Divemaster going into commercial diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello everyone!
My name is Adam and I am currently working as a necessary in Colombia. I certified myself here and have continued working since. However I am now considering pushing myself further and turning this into a viable career, I have read about the risks and the fact that Dive master and conditions may not usually be ideal but in all honesty I just love being in the water... I love going deep.
I just want to know if it is a good idea? I will do it regardless but my only issue is my age (30) I am english (south east London) I am very healthy and work hard, I aim to get the job done quickly and efficiently. My school of choice is the Canadian Working Divers institute and I am prepared to work as a tender (essentially sucking **** through a straw for the first year to gain the necessary experience.
I guess the bottom line is that I want to start making some real money and I am prepared to once again start from the bottom and work my way up.

Let me know what you all think.

Many thanks

Adam

"I just love being in the water... I love going deep."

Then commercial diving is definitely not for you, it's often done in a liquid that is only classified as water in health safety paperwork and has nothing to do with depth.

Hi Adam,

I can't say anything negative about the commercial sector, as it's put food on the table and a lot more. The industry has changed a lot since I first started and it's now experiencing a down swing.

If you are coming to Canada for training, I'd recommend Seneca College in King City, Ontario. In my opinion, it is hands down the best program in Canada and arguably the world.

Chances of employment improve if you have land-based experience in construction and maintenance. Previous employment as a Welder, or Rigger is positive. Diving is how the worker gets to and from the job site, like a land-based construction worker might have a driver's licence/vehicle to get to the job site. I've hired many Divers and the key ingredient isn't that he can get to the job site. That's a given. Once there, can he/she do the job?

Most commercial schools teach you how to dive and not too much more. Seneca's program was designed to meet the needs of industry (I was involved in this process).

I recommend that you read-up on the questions and answers in the Commercial Diving section of this Website. If you have any questions, drop me a message. I don't frequent Scubaboard as much as I use to, but will get back to you. Good luck with your chosen profession!

Back
Top Bottom