Keep your fins!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah I guess it's what you are used to. The operators in NC I typically dive with, fins stay on, mask stays on, and reg stays in mouth until both feet are on the deck. Once you are on the swim platform there is a handrail to hold onto, you lift one foot at a time and the mates takes your fins off for you. It was awkward the first time, but if you grab the ladder and pull your body up against the ladder, it's not that bad and I've come up before with decent sized seas.
I didn't really care for taking my fins off in the water when I dove in FL, but then again not really used to that SOP.

It is definitely what you are used to, and whatever the SOP is on the boat you are diving from.

Reading the original post, the biggest thing that jumped out at me was that I would NEVER remove ANY gear and just toss it on the transom/deck/platform. If we are expected to remove fins before going up the ladder (and not carry them ourselves), I hand them to someone on the boat, and I do not not let go of anything before I am certain that that person has a firm grasp on it (by feeling them take it, and by verbal confirmation). Same for my camera, or any other gear that I am not wearing up the ladder. I would never just toss gear on the platform and then hope it is still there by the time I finish ascending the ladder.

My preference is to wear my fins on the ladder as that is the local norm around here. However, I will always defer to the preferences of the operator that I am using, or to the specific setup of the boat we are diving from.

And regardless of how I was floating around on the surface while others board the boat (usually reg out while chatting about the dive or whatever), my reg is always in my mouth and mask in place when I am on the ladder.

It is definitely what you are used to, and whatever the SOP is on the boat you are diving from.

Reading the original post, the biggest thing that jumped out at me was that I would NEVER remove ANY gear and just toss it on the transom/deck/platform. If we are expected to remove fins before going up the ladder (and not carry them ourselves), I hand them to someone on the boat, and I do not not let go of anything before I am certain that that person has a firm grasp on it (by feeling them take it, and by verbal confirmation). Same for my camera, or any other gear that I am not wearing up the ladder. I would never just toss gear on the platform and then hope it is still there by the time I finish ascending the ladder.

My preference is to wear my fins on the ladder as that is the local norm around here. However, I will always defer to the preferences of the operator that I am using, or to the specific setup of the boat we are diving from.

And regardless of how I was floating around on the surface while others board the boat (usually reg out while chatting about the dive or whatever), my reg is always in my mouth and mask in place when I am on the ladder.

The op I dive with in Cozumel has you grab the ladder, then hand your fins up to the boat crew, and then climb the ladder. They don't specify to keep the reg in my mouth, but I always do (and keep my mask on too) while climbing the ladder, though it's often out when I'm just floating on the surface waiting for the boat.

The op I dive with in Cozumel has you grab the ladder, then hand your fins up to the boat crew, and then climb the ladder. They don't specify to keep the reg in my mouth, but I always do (and keep my mask on too) while climbing the ladder, though it's often out when I'm just floating on the surface waiting for the boat.
Some of the posters would freak out in typical Coz diving where divers will often hand up almost all the gear! :eek:

I dive a fairly high percentage of Nitrox in Coz. When I clinb the ladder in gear I not only have my reg in up the ladder but often continue until removing the rig. This last trip I got friendly teasing that I was trying to suck that last bit of (relatively expensive) extra gas. :D

Last edited:
Some of the posters would freak out in typical Coz diving where divers will often hand up almost all the gear! :eek:

I dive a fairly high percentage of Nitrox in Coz. When I clinb the ladder in gear I not only have my reg in up the ladder but often continue until removing the rig. This last trip I got friendly teasing that I was trying to suck that last bit of ( relatively) extra gas. :D

I'm with most of the same people when I go, and some of them will hand up their weight belt before climbing the ladder. That seems like just asking to lose it, but if their knees need the help, that's up to them I guess. I haven't seen anybody take off their BC and tank before going up the ladder, but wouldn't be surprised if someone did at some point. If you had to swim without fins, it would be a lot easier without the BC and tank!

I dive a fairly high percentage of Nitrox in Coz. When I clinb the ladder in gear I not only have my reg in up the ladder but often continue until removing the rig. This last trip I got friendly teasing that I was trying to suck that last bit of ( relatively) extra gas. :D
Oxygen may shorten telomeres in your lung cells...

Sorry but that sounds like a recipe to fall off the ladder, especially in high seas. At least for me. And then a high likelihood of losing the fins. Have you tried this or just thinking through the possibilities?

I've done it, though not in really high seas.

Possibly, but it is certain that lack of oxygen will shorten your life by a much larger amount! ;-)
Not necessary...ever heard of African naked mole-rats? They live in deep holes where oxygen can be as low as 3%. And they live longer than any rodent, up to 32 years.

Oxygen may shorten telomeres in your lung cells...
@tarponchik. We have had a similar discussion before. It may be that I could lose a few days, months, from my life with repeat exposure to "high" O2 but its a sure thing that a stray bubble through my PFO could shorten it much more severely.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom