Will prices go up or down?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reddiver970

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
We have been going to Cozumel every June for the last several years. Usually we have our tripped booked and paid for in March. This year for a variety of reasons we haven't booked yet, planning on June 2 though the 9th. Now I am trying to guess what prices are going to do, book now or wait for last minute price drops any thoughts??

Based on your location I'm guessing they will go up. Hotel deals may stay the same or even go down a bit depending on occupancy but they can go up just as easily.

It's most likely the initial flight to wherever you connect going to Cozumel that may fill up and start driving prices higher. You may still be able to get there for the same price but your flight options may become be more limited resulting in a red eye and possibly one less day of being on the island.

I usually get burned when I play the "wait it out" game unless my travel dates are really flexible. Good luck on finding your deal.

Yeah... The days of waiting for deals on airfare seem to have ended a few years ago thanks to all the consolidation within the airlines. They've carved up the country, established their various hubs, and are all now large enough to drive out any competition that may enter one of their markets via flying the same routs as a new competitor at break-even or a loss. You're best to keep searching, watch the prices, and base your purchase on the flights that are most convenient for you as prices don't change much unless a carrier has seats to fill and runs a special to fill those few seats (when they do they vanish fast). Anyone been on an airplane that isn't 100% full lately (or over-booked)? The days of getting on a plane with 1/2 the seats empty are over.

We have been going to Cozumel every June for the last several years. Usually we have our tripped booked and paid for in March. This year for a variety of reasons we haven't booked yet, planning on June 2 though the 9th. Now I am trying to guess what prices are going to do, book now or wait for last minute price drops any thoughts??
Consult your Magic Eight Ball. It's as likely to be correct as anyone else's prediction.

Yeah, we usually book through expedia or Orbitz package deal ,air hotel

I don't know what your package pricing does for cost, and I tend to travel off-the-cuff, so I don't plan all that stuff very far in advance, but in my opinion, for finding a good price on airfare, there is Google Flights, and then there are search algorithms that are nowhere near as good.

I have no crystal ball but consumer confidence is running pretty high and I suspect that the airline yield management teams will resist discounting as long as possible. Until they are sure they will be eating empty seats I would thing they will hold them high. Over the last several summers I noticed pretty high load factors on the AA flights out of DFW during the summer and into the fall.

upload_2017-4-20_17-53-11.png

I would just pick the best flight times and favorite hotel if it were just me and my wife, but we are bringing four kids and a girlfriend ,,,seven tickets ads up fast..oh well good times

I have done it both ways in flying to Cozumel for the past 15 years. My experience is that the earlier I booked the tickets the better price I get. One year I was waiting for the airline to email me some "last minute" deals. Yea, great deal for the airline as the "deal" was higher than if I had booked three months earlier like I usually do. Just my experience. Also, if wait too long the flight you want to book can be full. Of course, they can overbook and then just drag you off the plane :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom