Dive Knife recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jringold

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey Dudes - I searched around the forum for a thread on dive knife recommendations. I found stuff here and there but couldn’t find anything specific. We are headed to Key Largo in a few weeks for 4 days of diving (first dive since last August). Here is the deal. A year ago I bought a cheap knife on-line. Even with rinsing after each dive, it rusted and was just basically a piece of crap. So, on my last dive last year, I didn’t take my knife. We were diving a barge off the coast of Orange Beach and I got caught up in a bunch of monofilament. Scared the hell out of me. Fortunately, a guy with us had a knife and was able to cut me out of the mess. So, knife is now at the top of my equipment list. But I want to get one that isn’t a pile of crap and rusts even with proper cleaning. Also, I don’t want one of those “James Bond” looking leg strapped sword. Essentially, simplicity that I can attach to my BC is the ticket. Finally, I’d like to be able to find a good one on Amazon - I happen to have a gift card…… Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I personally like the knife/shears combination but you already know what feature, of whatever you get, to be aware of. RUST!

I have the Cressi brand, but it also will rust. Like that the sheath attached to my BC, so I have that "James Bond" look. Can easily pull out with one hand. Just have to remember to rinse and dry - carefully!

This is all you'll ever need:

DGX DIR Knife and Titanium Shears w/ Waistbelt Sheath

DX-904004_1.png

I find a line cutter, mine is a trilobite, is much better than a knife for dealing with monofilament. I also carry shears, my antique BFK, and sometimes a small knife on my kit to deal with various issues that might come up.

Bob

That looks awesome..... But a hundred bucks.... Every piece of eqp I get I have to buy two - me and spouse. But if it's quality, its worth it. I'd paid 10 grand for one when I got tangled up.

We offer this knife on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/MAKO-Speargu...id=1492565083&sr=8-11&keywords=mako+spearguns.

You should still keep in rinsed of salt and some silicone spray will provide additional corrosion protection.

If you want a knife that has near zero potential for corrosion, then Titanium should be a consideration.

We offer this excellent knife at a very competitive price, although not on Amazon:

Titanium Dive Knife | MAKO Spearguns

MTDK-2T.jpg

You might also consider a line cutter. These are probably quicker and safer for cutting small lines like fishing lines, but you will need to keep it rinsed and lubricated from time to time.

We carry those as well.

Thanks!

Dano

If you insist on a dive tool, I have this one that doesn't rust (yet) after a couple years and 200 salt water dives: Squeeze Lock Knife - Aqua Lung US - Personal Aquatic Equipment for Recreational and Professional Use

I like mine, however the diver that left it on the bottom may not agree. I tied a bungee through the hole on the handle into a loop to which I hook over the bottom of the sheath or around my wrist when using it for security.

If I didn't have a lot of knives to choose from, I would probably take the advice from @mmadiver and go for the cheap cut off serrated steak knife. Effective, cheap, and easily replaceable is a good plan in cold water and 5 mm wetsuit gloves which gang up to reduce my dexterity.

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom