Subsurface 4.3 has been released

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for this! I got a new Oceanic Atom 3.0 a couple of weeks ago, then went diving. Got home. Hooked up my Atom to my Windows 7 x64 machine via the Oceanic data cable, and Windows Update automatically detected it, downloaded drivers, and installed them. I ran the SS 4.3 install, did an Import, and it grabbed all my dives off the Atom. So simple and easy! I am a newly minted diver and I LOVE being able to see what my air consumption was over my dives - both the average for the whole dive, and the momentary at different points during each dive.

That leads me to a question:

- On one dive, I used most of my air pretty quickly, so the DM had me breathe off his octo for a bit, to extend the dive for the sake of the other diver with us (who still had plenty of air). I can see, for that dive, where my air consumption went totally flat for about 6 minutes. The question is, does the SAC reported by SS for that dive count that time with no air consumption in the average it reports (in which case my actual usage was a fair bit higher than reported)? Or does it detect when consumption is 0 and just leave that block of time out of the calculation of average altogether (in which case, the reported SAC is accurate for the time I was actually breathing off my own cylinder)?

I'm guessing that it's the latter as, out of my last 4 dives, the SAC for the dive where I used the DM's octo was exactly the same as my SAC for 2 of the other dives. And the 4th dive was just slightly better.

Lastly, I have one issue to report:

I can't seem to make the Dive Location feature work. I can pan the world map around and zoom into where the dive was. I can click a spot and it drops a push pin there. But, it never fills anything into the Coordinates box. And, as soon as I click on the Save Changes (Apply Changes?) button, the push pin on the world map disappears.

- On one dive, I used most of my air pretty quickly, so the DM had me breathe off his octo for a bit, to extend the dive for the sake of the other diver with us (who still had plenty of air). I can see, for that dive, where my air consumption went totally flat for about 6 minutes. The question is, does the SAC reported by SS for that dive count that time with no air consumption in the average it reports (in which case my actual usage was a fair bit higher than reported)? Or does it detect when consumption is 0 and just leave that block of time out of the calculation of average altogether (in which case, the reported SAC is accurate for the time I was actually breathing off my own cylinder)?
No, it's not that smart. Or actually, it is taught to more or less believe you what you tell it. If you think about it, you were diving with two tanks. Yours and your DMs. So you should add a second tank under equipment. Don't enter start and end pressure. Then on the profile right click at the point in time where you switched to your DMs tank and add a gas switch to that tank. And a second one back to yours at the right time as well.
This will exclude the time on the other tank from the calculations.
I can't seem to make the Dive Location feature work. I can pan the world map around and zoom into where the dive was. I can click a spot and it drops a push pin there. But, it never fills anything into the Coordinates box. And, as soon as I click on the Save Changes (Apply Changes?) button, the push pin on the world map disappears.
So the coordinate field isn't filled (that's a bug I still need to fix), but when you switch dives and back it /should/ show up. If not, could you fill a bug report on Subsurface ? It's important that you give the exact OS / version that you use plus the version of Subsurface, of course.

No, it's not that smart. Or actually, it is taught to more or less believe you what you tell it. If you think about it, you were diving with two tanks. Yours and your DMs. So you should add a second tank under equipment. Don't enter start and end pressure. Then on the profile right click at the point in time where you switched to your DMs tank and add a gas switch to that tank. And a second one back to yours at the right time as well.
This will exclude the time on the other tank from the calculations.

Excellent. I suspected it wasn't "that smart". So, what does it do if you surface during a dive and breathe surface air for a few minutes during the middle of a dive? Same deal? Add a second tank for the surface air and add 2 tank switches to the dive profile?

Thanks for the tip on how to "fix" it!

So the coordinate field isn't filled (that's a bug I still need to fix), but when you switch dives and back it /should/ show up. If not, could you fill a bug report on Subsurface ? It's important that you give the exact OS / version that you use plus the version of Subsurface, of course.

I will test that, but I *think* it never showed up, period. If it doesn't, I will file a bug report.

It is unclear to me how the map pane is supposed to interact with the Location field. I could type "Cozumel, Mexico" into the Location field. But, if I zoomed in on the map to Cozumel and clicked the displayed push pin for San Miguel, Cozumel, is SS supposed to populate the Location field? And the Coordinates?

Does the map pane only interact with the Coordinates field and that's it?

It is unclear to me how the map pane is supposed to interact with the Location field. I could type "Cozumel, Mexico" into the Location field. But, if I zoomed in on the map to Cozumel and clicked the displayed push pin for San Miguel, Cozumel, is SS supposed to populate the Location field? And the Coordinates?

Does the map pane only interact with the Coordinates field and that's it?
Sorry, missed your response.
The location name is not like Google Maps. There is no secret behind the scenes lookup of coordinates or anything. It's just a name.
For me... I only have the location ("Bonaire") in my trip and then the location per dive only has the dive site name ("Cliff"). So this wouldn't work, anyway.
But once you have entered a location for a site, the next time you use the same location the GPS will be pre-filled with those coordinates.

I finally got around to messing with SS some more:

- I attempted to do what you said regarding inserting a tank switch to deal with the occasion when I was breathing off my DM's octo. I successfully added another tank to my equipment list and left the start and end pressures blank. Then I went over to the graph window, right-clicked on the spot where I switched tanks, and inserted a tank switch to tank 2. But, as soon as I did that, the graph of my air consumption disappeared from that moment in time forward. And if I right-clicked on a later time, to try and insert a tank switch back to tank 1, the popup menu did not give me an option for another tank switch. So, I was left with the graph of my air only showing the air from t=0 up to the point where I did the tank switch.

That seems like a bug. Maybe 2 bugs.

- I also played with the Location, Coordinates, and world map.

I typed in a Location. That causes a new pane to appear with buttons to Apply Changes or Discard Changes (or something like that).
I clicked Apply changes.
I navigated on the world map to find the spot where I did the dive.
I double-clicked on the spot.
The app displayed a little dive flag on the spot, labelled with the text I had typed into Location.
It did NOT display anything in the Coordinates box.
I clicked on another dive in my list.
The program did not prompt me to save my dive or anything like that.
I clicked back to the dive I had been editing.
Now, the Coordinates box is filled in, the dive flag shows on the World map, etc.. Everything looks good.

So, the two problems with these steps are that double-clicking on the world map did not immediately, visibly fill in the Coordinates box, and (problem 2), after double-clicking on the world map, it obviously did change my dive data (since I clicked away then came back and Coordinates was filled), but it did not display the buttons for Apply Changes/Discard Changes or do anything else to let me choose whether to save my dive with the double-click location data in it or discard that change - which I might want to do if the double-click on the World map was inadvertent.

I then tried doing the same steps except withOUT clicking on Apply Changes are I typed in a Location.
Doing it this way, when I double-clicked on a spot on the world map, it seemed to lose my text from the Location box.

I need to go through it all again to confirm the exact steps for provoking bad behavior. In today's testing, I was just trying to confirm that there is A way to do things where it works correctly - which I did.

Just FYI.

I've used a VT3 for all my dives and just upgraded to a Oceanic VTX. Will the support for Oceanic VTX be coming soon?

Also, I traded emails with Rainer at Divelogs.de to recognized oceanic multi tank dives. When I imported my dives from Divelogs.de from the import menu, equipment was recognized but the switch does not reflect in graph automatically. But the manual add gas switch does work.

I appreciate all the time and effort put into this program.

Check my response in the Subsurface 4.4 thread. At least the multi task issue should be solved. And I think the VTX is pretty much the same as the Aeris A300CS...

Can you give us access to a sample slg file, a .asd file, an .xls file and a text file, all of the same hand full of dives? Ideally including some deco dives, multiple tanks, gas changes, etc?
We're happy to look at adding support for new formats and having all four for the same set of dives has the highest likelihood that we can decode one of them :)

Has any progress been made with TravelTRAK .asd files?

Has any progress been made with TravelTRAK .asd files?

Can you send me a sample log file and I'll take a look if we could include that? miika.turkia at gmail.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom