5min Fix - SPG Leak Fix (Video)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jagfish

The man behind the fish
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
DDT Vlog#20 - 5min Fix - SPG Leak Fix

A small air leak from your SPG connection is one of the most common minor equipment mishaps divers encounter. With the proper spares and a simple tool, this problem can usually be remedied in a handful of minutes by the prepared diver.

This video takes you through the tools, spares and procedure needed to fix this issue by yourself.

As a disclaimer, the decision to fix this or any other equipment problem by yourself should be done with the knowledge that the diver takes full responsibility for any outcomes.

Safe diving!

Jim

My first SPG required the swivel o-rings to be cleaned every 20 dives or so. Became an expert at it. Last week did a dive buddy's swivel, but her o-rings were RS, rather than dirty. Simple job. Hardest thing is removing SPG from rubber boot (use boiling water to loosen).

Thanks for posting.

My first SPG required the swivel o-rings to be cleaned every 20 dives or so. Became an expert at it. Last week did a dive buddy's swivel, but her o-rings were RS, rather than dirty. Simple job. Hardest thing is removing SPG from rubber boot (use boiling water to loosen).

Thanks for posting.

coffee/teapot water temperature seems to be the best and most convenient I've found for these types of things. Good for mouthpieces as well.

As far as the boots, with computers these days, much better to just leave them naked and remove consoles permanently. Especially if diving in the salty stuff as they are impossible to clean.

for the HP spools, if they're stuck, I've also found a good way is to grab the o-ring notch with your finger nails and start rocking it. Usually rocking and a bit of light tugging will get the spool to pop out. At $2 I try not to just chuck them, but I have a bag of "bad" ones and will take a night once a year with whiskey and a lot of cursing to replace all of the spool o-rings. I typically only have to replace 2-3/year, but it does happen

Last edited:
Am currently thinking about taking my SPG out of the boot (dual boot with depth guage). The depth guage is surplus to requirements (never gets looked at) and the boot is too large.

Also as Tbone suggests it makes it a lot easier to check and maintain.

coffee/teapot water temperature seems to be the best and most convenient I've found for these types of things. Good for mouthpieces as well.

As far as the boots, with computers these days, much better to just leave them naked and remove consoles permanently. Especially if diving in the salty stuff as they are impossible to clean.

for the HP spools, if they're stuck, I've also found a good way is to grab the o-ring notch with your finger nails and start rocking it. Usually rocking and a bit of light tugging will get the spool to pop out. At $2 I try not to just chuck them, but I have a bag of "bad" ones and will take a night once a year with whiskey and a lot of cursing to replace all of the spool o-rings. I typically only have to replace 2-3/year, but it does happen
That's a good tip on taking out the spool...I've gotten lazy in recent years...it's just an easier repair on the beach for me to replace the whole thing, and the small o-rings are easier to lose...

That's a good tip on taking out the spool...I've gotten lazy in recent years...it's just an easier repair on the beach for me to replace the whole thing, and the small o-rings are easier to lose...

oh I definitely just swap them out if I'm anywhere but in the house when I am rebuilding regs, I have a "good" bag and a "not so good" bag in my tool box. Happens pretty rarely, but I do remove the SPG's and lube the spools every 3 or so months which helps a lot with their longevity since they are dynamic o-rings

One word of caution. If the spool is stuck, especially if it happens to be stuck in the end of the hose where you can not grab it with fingers, it might be better to leave it and finish that day of diving. Asking as the leak is small, it will have little effect on dive time. Don't turn a small leak intonation big leak that will end your dives.

One word of caution. If the spool is stuck, especially if it happens to be stuck in the end of the hose where you can not grab it with fingers, it might be better to leave it and finish that day of diving. Asking as the leak is small, it will have little effect on dive time. Don't turn a small leak intonation big leak that will end your dives.
Good point....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom