Roller backpack and customer service review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seand03

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
3 months ago I got a roller backpack from sports chalet. Unfortunately the bag was damaged internally and I didn't know when I bought it. The handle was bent and didn't extend smoothly. Since the retailer was closing they wouldn't help me.

I contacted akona, I did have a little trouble getting ahold of them. However once I got that elusive phone number things got rolling. During the process I moved from CA to TX. The original guy I was dealing with Mike, tried to help me however since I moved from his region I had to contact the other division. I delt with Maurice, he was helpful however... his proposal was to send me the replacment parts and I fix it myself (he also gave me the option to RMA the bag and they would fix it, I decided I could fix it and it would save them $ on shipping. Mainly I didn't want to fuss with having to mail out a big bag).

The only issue was after a month I didn't have the parts. Maurice emailed me and explained it was still back ordered and give him a week. I was indifferent at this point having waited 1 1/2 months. After 2 weeks I emailed him and didn't get a response, I waited another week (total time at this point a little over 2 months). I called and asked to talk on him, while never said to me I got the impression he was out of the office - possible for an extended time. I talked to Norman, and told him the time line of this issue. I expressed some concern about how long it was taking and politely said that I wasn't very happy and at this point I would just like a new bag and not the parts. He immediately agreed and said I had been waiting way to long. 3 days later I had a brand new bag!

My only complaint is the time frame. I think had I been directed to Norman from the start this would have been resolved in no time.

The quality of the bag is outstanding, and they do stand behind their products. If I had not bought it from a closing store and gotten it from a LDS I'm sure this would have been resolved much faster. Truth be told I did not do very much harassing. Every time I spoke to anyone with akona/sherwood they were friendly and helpful.

Bottom line I would not hesitate to buy their products in the future, but I wold try to buy them from a dive shop I frequent often. Then if I had an issue they would deal with it.

Anyway, thanks @akona

Good to know...I am thinking of having my LDS order me this bag for my next trip. I like Akona gear so far. I have their weight bags and mask cases at this point and they are built really well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom