Anilao earthquakes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doesn't look good... (FB post)

(apologies, appears author took the post down)

Basic summary: reef is badly damaged, roads damaged, some damage to resorts (wasn't specific on which ones). No mention of injuries or fatalities.

Last edited:
I am in Anilao (Barangay Bagalangit) since Wednesday. I actually experience the last to quake (5.6 and 6.0) at 20 feet. It was one of the most bizarre experiences I ever had. The 1st one didn't feel so bad. The whole reef shook for a little bit and silt was coming up. Because of the earlier quake I got the idea that his was another one and decide to slowly surface. Then the 2nd one hit (magnitude 6.0) and that was significantly more violent. I experienced a little bit of vertigo as the shockwave somehow effected my ears differently I assume. That night we were old told to evcacuate to "higher ground" because of fear of a potential tsunami; luckily that wave never came. We had since plenty of aftershocks but they greatly slowed down alread on Sunday (today is Monday). As far as I was told the biggest resort damage occurred at camp netanya where an outside wall collapsed and destroyed some cars. I have not dived since as I got a bit stuffed up but when I feel better will get a peek at the reef in front of Dive7000 and the cathedral. I am here until Easter Monday. If anybody needs immediate info ping me on FB messenger: Stefan Kaemmer

I was also in Anilao (Planet Dive) when it hit, we had just returned from a boat dive when the first one hit. Significant shaking and the eerie thing for me was the rumbling sound it made while it was happening. After the first one, there were a lot of minor tremors regularly happening every few minutes (you couldn't see things shaking but you can feel the ground moving beneath you). Then there was another strong one which lasted a bit longer. The weak tremors went on at intervals for the next couple of hours with a few fairly strong but short jolts. All diving was canceled that day and apparently the coast guard canceled all diving activities the next day as well. I was told that some resorts have sent their guests back to manila for safety reasons. The damage report i heard while we were there was that there was a section of road that was blocked by a landslide and structure damage at Camp Netanya.

Video of the earthquake while underwater (not mine):

Damage at Camp Netanya

Diver's Account of the earthquake while they were on a dive

I talked to an officer from the coastguard yesterday and if I understood correctly they didn't cancel any diving. If they did than they at the very least didn't communicate it properly. The speedboat from Ayanar resort had some divers at the cathedral yesterday. Communicatuon in general is a problem here. The emergency communication is practically non-existent.

We were in the Philippines in December when a major typhoon was forecast. There was incorrect information on this board and elsewhere about what was happening. I'm not saying that this was in anyway deliberate , but we were in the area and what was being said was not correct.

We have a very good friend who was in Buceo when the earthquakes struck. She didn't mention anything about diving being cancelled , but did say that Buceo Anilao had superb crisis management. She is a very experienced diver and a Dive Master so knows what she is talking about.

In countries such as the Philippines people in the tourist industry may get paid less or not at all if bookings go down.

Just my thoughts.

I did some surveying of the reef in front of Dive7000 today and could not detect an unusual number of broken corals. Everything appeared to look like before the quaThe water was however still a bit murkier than before the quake and I subjectively felt that the number of small fish was less.
[QUOTE="Tippytoes12

In countries such as the Philippines people in the tourist industry may get paid less or not at all if bookings go down.
[/QUOTE]

I am not sure what your point is. Are you saying that I report wrong? Well, I am not in the tourist industry if that makes my reporting any more believable to you.

Interestingly, I was also expecting a bit (if not a lot of) disinformation as the tourist industry as a lot to lose from doom and gloom report but we live in such a fascinating age! On one end you have the portion of the business who is at risk of losing potential customer (regardless of the information being validated or not) and on the other end you have mainstream media amplifying disasters 10 folds as it sells well and brings in more $. Very difficult to find a balanced assessment of the situation.

At the end of the day the only reliable sources are actual normal people who happened to be there reporting - I greatly appreciate your feedback StefinSB. We’re heading there in late May and obviously the current situation is concerning to say the least.

We’re booked at Buceo and I’ve been in touch with them and communication was A1 once again; it certainly feels like they are running a top notch operation.

Thanks for all of your informative posts. I'm supposed to fly in early Saturday morning and head to Anilao. What are your thoughts on this? Bad idea or you'd make the trip if you were in my shoes? Thanks!

I am in Anilao (Barangay Bagalangit) since Wednesday. I actually experience the last to quake (5.6 and 6.0) at 20 feet. It was one of the most bizarre experiences I ever had. The 1st one didn't feel so bad. The whole reef shook for a little bit and silt was coming up. Because of the earlier quake I got the idea that his was another one and decide to slowly surface. Then the 2nd one hit (magnitude 6.0) and that was significantly more violent. I experienced a little bit of vertigo as the shockwave somehow effected my ears differently I assume. That night we were old told to evcacuate to "higher ground" because of fear of a potential tsunami; luckily that wave never came. We had since plenty of aftershocks but they greatly slowed down alread on Sunday (today is Monday). As far as I was told the biggest resort damage occurred at camp netanya where an outside wall collapsed and destroyed some cars. I have not dived since as I got a bit stuffed up but when I feel better will get a peek at the reef in front of Dive7000 and the cathedral. I am here until Easter Monday. If anybody needs immediate info ping me on FB messenger: Stefan Kaemmer
Thanks for all of your informative posts. I'm supposed to fly in early Saturday morning and head to Anilao. What are your thoughts on this? Bad idea or would you still make the trip if you were in my shoes? Thanks! Hope this is posting on StefinB's thread...new to this.

Back
Top Bottom