St. Maarten Information Needed.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We just got back from St. Martin, today. Took a one tank afternoon dive with Scuba Fun, located right near the Cruise dock next to Chesterfields restaurant. They were very nice and professional. Laney was the DM and she was great. My son hadn't been diving in several years so we just did the one tank shallow dive in Little Bay. There two tank dives sounded more interesting but we didn't really go there to dive, so this was fine.

I did 2 trip there. My last trip was 2 weeks ago.
We went with octopus both time. They now have a place at Bobby's marina in Philisburgh, parking is 1$/h. Their main operation is at Grand case.

We way prefered the dutch side. Nice wrecks and quite a few sharks. The reefs are boring on both side of the island though.

This year we did the Carib cargo and The cable. Sharks on both sites. Although we saw a dolphin on the french side in 2014 I wouldn't bother diving that side again.

Have fun, I really like St.Martin, very nice restaurants in Orient bay

I did two one-day cruise stops in Phillipsburg on two consecutive years (2013 and 2014) and booked separate from the ship, with Scuba Fun, both times. Enjoyed the dives - viz the second year wasn't as good as the first due to a storm the night before, but still decent at @ 40-50 feet. The thing I liked about Scuba Fun was that the shop grouped divers together according to their experience, so we weren't stuck with people who dive once a year or who just finished their first certification. Some nice wrecks, and the reef had decent life (and there were a couple of reef sharks hanging out at the one wreck site).

Octopus Divers. Started on the French side so not a cruise ship focused company. They have since opened a shop on the Dutch side. The diving is just so so sadly. A trip to Saba is recommended. I liked St Martins for the food and the island itself but the diving would not be a reason to go IMHO. I also went on a time share but decided to spend a couple of nights on Saba and go diving for two days. Glad I did, Saba is a very nice place to spend time as well and the diving is among the best in the Caribbean.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom