Restaurant Suggestions....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is a spot south of town where the Old Inn used to be near Plaza Resort. Joes Grill I think.
We went to Joe's Grill last year after passing by a sign on the side of the road a few times, it was a little dressier than expected and prices a bit higher, but we had a great meal. Not super formal or outrageously expensive, but we were expecting an American bar & grill type place and it was a little higher end.

Cactus Blue food truck @ Donkey Beach. We did Bachelor's Beach dive last year and went to this food truck just north of the site, only to find we didn't have enough cash after we ordered. The guy cooking was super chill and said, "No worries, just bring me the money tomorrow!" We ended up driving back to our condo to get new tanks, picked up the cash and brought it back to him later in the day. Oh, and the food was great!

Kite City truck is always good, too.

We love Between Two Buns and we stop by Gio's Gelateria in town as much as possible - especially wonderful after a morning of diving to have a nice gelato. :)

Was looking for suggestions for relatively cheap eats on Bonaire. We'll self cater breakfast & lunches..but hope to make it out for dinner during most of our stay.

Sooooo the computer file that I've been gathering notes in for my June 2017 Bonaire trip seems to be missing all its content...dang it! I was collecting suggestions for restaurants. We'll be a party of 8. To give you an idea on pricing.. the last time we were there Bobbejan's was our idea of fine cuisine. That should give you some idea of our level of sophistication. We're NOT into atmosphere..... Does anyplace do a decent rotisserie chicken for takeout?

When I am lazy, I order in from Dinner in a Box. Other cheap eats include Mi Banana. I also love Rumba's fish and pizza dishes. Kite City is great. The Beach at Windsock is WONDERFUL

My top fav spot is Mati's Surinamese located next to Flamingo TV. Fabulous Sate, Bami and Nasi. They close at 4.

Exito next to MCB in town has sushi. I love their tuna sandwiches and OH SO CHEAP.

Home

Agree with lunula... Joe's Grill is good. Very nice meal for a fair price with good service.

GREAT meal at La Cantina but $$$ pricey.

Very good @ Capriccio. You can go more expensive or less depending on what you order.

Very good also @ Italy in the World, but a bit more $$.

Good @ Patagonia, $$.

Was looking for suggestions for relatively cheap eats on Bonaire. We'll self cater breakfast & lunches..but hope to make it out for dinner during most of our stay.

Sooooo the computer file that I've been gathering notes in for my June 2017 Bonaire trip seems to be missing all its content...dang it! I was collecting suggestions for restaurants. We'll be a party of 8. To give you an idea on pricing.. the last time we were there Bobbejan's was our idea of fine cuisine. That should give you some idea of our level of sophistication. We're NOT into atmosphere..... Does anyplace do a decent rotisserie chicken for takeout?

For cheap eats including great breakfast items, sandwiches and now, sushi, Try Exito next to the former Wil's Tropical Grill.

While Bonaire has some great restaurants indeed, the one thing we find most convenient is fixing meals on our own, buying groceries at Van Den Tweel, the Warehouse Supermarket, baked goods from Alma Lusa, and solving the meal challenges on our own.

Someone mentioned just a few replies above this one... Kip Tukkie's - oak wood smoked chiken. It's really good, simple, convenient and affordable. You can find the Kip Tukkie truck parked at the entrance to Van Den Tweel supermarket on Saturdays. They are on Kaya Industria between the roundabouts.

I've switched from restaurant planning to identifying strategic places to stay. The place we call home must be: Close to a dive operator- facilitating our access to tanks. Operators will grant unlimited access to their house reef; if they have one, which makes it an attractive benefit for night dives, to just leave empties and to get good intel from staff. You get to know the people that work there, build a good rapport with them if you can. Staff will help you plan boat trips, or schedule wild-side dives, even let you know where a frogfish is hanging out.

Find a place with a good kitchen, with sufficient utensils. After that, just buy good ingredients and fix your own meals.

One of the reasons we switch strategies from planning restaurant stops to locating good places to stay is the time it takes to have dinner. More often than not, once you walk into a restaurant for dinner, regardless of the number of stars, $$$ ratings and reviews, you end up spending a significant amount of time just waiting and waiting to be served, or for a re-fill, for a glass of water, for the food to come out, and even to pay.

We realize it's good to adjust, slow down and take in the island time motto.... but it's been somewhat hard to slow down to the point that it's just painful to enjoy dinner out. Sure, the meals can be well prepared, very nice and even memorable, but our most convenient strategy has been to fix our own meals.

There are some street food places that we've enjoyed, with fast and convenient service. These are mainly food trucks that are parked in Kralendijk, Windsock Beach (West end of Airport Runway), there is a burger truck on Bachelors Beach, there is also a KFC, several bakeries with empanadas and finger food grab and go type offerings.

I hope your trip to Bonaire is fantastic, that you enjoy the great diving, it's people and that everyone in your group has a memorable time there.

Ricardo V, cmon you are supposed to be on vacation. Service may be a little slow on Bonaire but that just leaves more time for a few Amstel Brights. The restaurant scene as described by a number of posters, is very eclectic and fusion. You should slow down and enjoy the experience.

We tend to night dive before dinner and then dine afterwards. Which means no rush.

I tend to agree with my nearby FL neighbor whom I've never met--We eat out 2-3 times during our stays with Between 2 Buns at the top of our list. Usually at lunchtime as they close at 5pm. We may do a meal or two at Habitat's restaurant for convenience sake. We cook in our bungalow and buy most groceries at Zung Kong nearby with maybe a trip to Van Den Tweel early in the stay. And then, there ARE the gelato stops!!

Ricardo V, cmon you are supposed to be on vacation. Service may be a little slow on Bonaire but that just leaves more time for a few Amstel Brights. The restaurant scene as described by a number of posters, is very eclectic and fusion. You should slow down and enjoy the experience.
Totally agree with Doctorfish!

We always eat breakfast at home before we go out, then typically do two dives and come back home for lunch. Sometimes we'll do a food truck, but we have to switch out tanks anyway for another dive or two. After that, we come home and clean up (sometimes stopping for gelato first) and we always go out for dinner! Yeah, allow for "island time" and be prepared for a longer wait than normal, but we've really only had a couple experiences that we were annoyed at how long it took - and normally that is only if we don't enjoy the dinner cause we had to wait so long for crappy food. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom