whale shark diving in belize, may 11-16, 2017?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmmm. I'm trying to remember if fishing is even allowed in the protected area where whale shark diving takes place. If memory serves, it's not allowed, but on the other hand the shops do depend on the sighting reports from fishermen.

Bottom line: I really doubt it.

Just out of curiosity, why would you want to do that? Whether you're talking about the local fishermen or fishing guides, they're not set up for diving or snorkeling. By law, you're supposed to have a Belizean dive guide in the water with you. A lot of the local fishermen stay in fishing camps out on the cayes and don't head back to the mainland very often. And the state of their boats would probably scare off a lot of people.

You could try contacting fishing guides to see if they'll take you out. If you're not diving or snorkeling, then hey, it's just a boat ride.

Last edited:
Hmmm. I'm trying to remember if fishing is even allowed in the protected area where whale shark diving takes place. If memory serves, it's not allowed, but on the other hand the shops do depend on the sighting reports from fishermen.

Bottom line: I really doubt it.

Just out of curiosity, why would you want to do that? Whether you're talking about the local fishermen or fishing guides, they're not set up for diving or snorkeling. By law, you're supposed to have a Belizean dive guide in the water with you. A lot of the local fishermen stay in fishing camps out on the caves and don't head back to the mainland very often. And the state of their boats would probably scare off a lot of people.

You could try contacting fishing guides to see if they'll take you out. If you're note diving or snorkeling, then hey, it's just a boat ride.

Honestly, to save money. Operators are charging at least 185 USD + tax, to snorkel with the whale sharks. Instead I could maybe pay half of that to a fisherman, who, as you say, know the sea's well and know where the whales sharks are. They were there long before the dive OPs and I could imagine also knew about the whale sharks since a long time too. They're not set up for diving, no, but anyone can slip into the water from a boat with snorkel + fins.

But after further research it seems that to get to the reserve a boat needs a permit. So perhaps the OPs who take folks out are forced to charge so much as the permits are expensive. But this info is just from calling and talking with hotels and dive OPs. Maybe it will be a different story once actually talking to the fishermen there.

I have been making arrangements to dive with the whale sharks in Placentia in May. And I can tell you that the rules and regulations are very strict... and rightfully so. It IS expensive, but if you do want to dive or snorkel with them, you will need to go with one of the Ops that gets permits via the very regulated process. The process is so regulated that the dive shops do not even know what time slot they will be allowed to go into the whale shark zone until a day or so before. I cannot say for sure that no fishermen get permits for snorkelers, but I did not come across that in my research online. The two dive shops I communicated with were Seahorse dive shop and Splash dive shop. Good luck!

I have been making arrangements to dive with the whale sharks in Placentia in May. And I can tell you that the rules and regulations are very strict... and rightfully so. It IS expensive, but if you do want to dive or snorkel with them, you will need to go with one of the Ops that gets permits via the very regulated process. The process is so regulated that the dive shops do not even know what time slot they will be allowed to go into the whale shark zone until a day or so before. I cannot say for sure that no fishermen get permits for snorkelers, but I did not come across that in my research online. The two dive shops I communicated with were Seahorse dive shop and Splash dive shop. Good luck!

Thanks for the info and enjoy the whale sharks in May :)

Hey guys, is it possible to go out with a local fishermen to look for the whalesharks?

Whale shark diving and snorkeling in Belize is highly regulated to in order to ensure the sustainability of the experience. There are a limited number of tour operators who receive permits to do whale shark tours, the dive masters and boat captains require special licenses and there is a limit on the number of guests in each boat and the boat captain has to have a park ticket for each guest in the boat.

With all of the care that SEA takes, I doubt that the park rangers would allow someone to ride along with the fishermen for the purpose of observing whale sharks.

Regards
Ralph

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom