Filmmaker Rob Stewart's family files wrongful death lawsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That video the family's lawyer put out sounded like he was reading some opinions of this board word per word lol, it was ridiculous

Well well well.
Wow again. Contradictions between what he's telling people in writing on facebook and what he had his lawyer tell people in writing will likely be a problem in court. Regardless of what really happened, it certainly casts some doubt on the veracity of his statements. I am guessing that is the exact reason folks involved in an accident don't usually comment.

. . . sounded like he was reading some opinions of this board [and other online sources] word [for] word

This.

Well well well.

Wow again. Contradictions between what he's telling people in writing on facebook and what he had his lawyer tell people in writing will likely be a problem in court. Regardless of what really happened, it certainly casts some doubt on the veracity of his statements. I am guessing that is the exact reason folks involved in an accident don't usually comment.

Well, it's certainly why those involved are cautioned to shut up when someone will assume contradictions indicate untruthfulness. However, in this circumstance the word used by Concannon was "incapacitated" not unconscious, and all Sotis said was "I did not pass out"... those statements would be consistent with hypercapnia or several other conditions.

In addition he cites that Mr Sotis has a different set of standards for decompression than the Navy and what is considered acceptable.
I guess it's a good thing this wasn't a U.S. Navy dive.

One of the benefits of CCR is they can enable new modalities for diving. The training standards for CCR specifies a minimum number of total dives and minimum number of total minutes, not how many per day.. that's controlled by decompression requirements and oxygen exposure limits. Although realistically, most students cease learning when over tired, so there is a practical limit. I fairly routinely plan four training dives in one day, two in the morning and two in the afternoon with long lunch and a re-up in between, to demonstrate to the student one of the benefits of their new rebreather. I always inquire, as well as evaluate for myself, their condition as the day progresses and should the need arise we skip the last dive or even the second trip.

While diving personally, in one day I've done as many as five dives with required stops. My Shearwater has never displayed a "Too Many Dives Today" warning. With modern dive computers, all it takes is a bit of forethought together with a conservative PO2 setpoint and enough surface interval credit not to exceed oxygen exposure limits. While that last dive is going to keep you on some annoyingly long stops, the number of dives per day is not particularly in violation of some "rule" built in to the deco algorithm itself.

I suspect the number of dives issue is an example of something the attorneys have picked up from uninformed, or outdated, internet discussion.

Last edited:
One of the benefits of CCR is they can enable new modalities for diving. The training standards for CCR specifies a minimum number of total dives and minimum number of total minutes, not how many per day.. that's controlled by decompression requirements and oxygen exposure limits. Although realistically, most students cease learning when over tired, so there is a practical limit.

While diving personally, in one day I've done as many as five dives with required stops. My Shearwater has never displayed a "Too Many Dives Today" warning. With modern dive computers, all it takes is a bit of forethought and enough surface interval credit not to exceed oxygen exposure limits. While that last dive is going to keep you on some annoyingly long stops, the number of dives per day is not particularly in violation of some "rule" built in to the deco algorithm itself.

I suspect the number of dives issue is an example of something the attorneys have picked up from uninformed, or outdated, internet discussion.
So you are saying you believe it is safe to do four dives to 220 in a day if you are on a rebreather? I'm not arguing, I'm in the uninformed crowd. I've certainly seen a lot of folks suggesting otherwise.

So you are saying you believe it is safe to do four dives to 220 in a day if you are on a rebreather? I'm not arguing, I'm in the uninformed crowd. I've certainly seen a lot of folks suggesting otherwise.
I doubt there have been many studies done with bounce or short duration dives involving such depths. If so I've not seen one but if we can agree that sawtooth profiles are bad at recreational depths it stands to reason multiple short duration dives to 60+ meters would also be dangerous.

I'm saying on CCR, the number of dives or the amount of gas available are not controlling factors in dive planning and there is technically nothing in the planning that says stop after X number of dives. I've done four one-hour dives in one day, and I've done one four-hour dive. It's always a good idea to minimize your exposure to reduce risk, so I'm not advocating a position. I'm just saying that a third dive, in and of itself, does not appear to violate any "rule" or limit that I'm aware of.

I think the one "big" dive, or even two, per day common practice and conventional wisdom has been created by the logistics limitations of transporting enough open-circuit mixed gas to the dive site. Somewhere along the way somebody has codified this in to more than two dives per day is an unacceptably high risk. I'm aware of some expedition liveaboard trips where if you told those guys they were limited to two deep dives per day there would have been a mutiny.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom