Dealing with lionfish while lobstering

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nick Steele

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
okay so I went out for lobster today and came across five lionfish that were too small to get caught up in my lobster net. When I exited I reported the sightings to NOAA and a spear fisher who was heading out.

On previous trips I've caught a few lionfish in my net and got them into my bad no problems but these were smaller ones and I felt bad just leaving them there. Are there any tricks to getting them when you only have a lobster net and tickle stick?

don't know any tricks for you ...but i have snared a few large ones with my lobster snare.

We have a guy that scares them into a zip lock bag....these are the little 2-3 inch guys..so I am not sure what size you were seeing. He then puts them into a bag and brings them up, once onboard though he basically just kills them and throws them away, way to small to filet to eat. I worry about getting stung doing it this way, so I have a short pole spear that I just shoot them and leave them behind for a crap or eel to munch on. We've been running a lot of lion fish and lobster hunt trips this week, my guys today killed about a dozen and one of them was almost 20 inches...huge! Good luck...hope that helps a bit.

www.oceanquestscuba.com

Thanks you guys!

I might give the pole spear a try since I too am worried about getting stung with the zip-lock method. The few I have seen were all small 2-4 inches or so

lionfish polespear and a pair of trauma shears or a Zookeeper. Zookeeper if you are planning on harvesting a lot - it's a bit cumbersome but worth it if there are a bunch. I typically trim fins and just put them into the lobster hotel. you're already wearing gloves so grab them by the firmly eyeballs and trim with your free hand - easy peasy. If they are too little just cut the head off and move on.

I just hang my lobster bag off my Zookeeper. and I have my polespear and snare attached to each other. It takes a little getting used to but the first meal of lion ceviche and lobster salad makes it well worth it!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom