Hydrooptix mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paul Barton

Registered
Reaction score
just learned these exist. Looking to buy a hydrooptix mask. I realize they are out of business. Anyone have one new or used they'd like to sell?

Thanks,
Paul

They're pretty old. Show up once in a while though. Saw one in the last few months somewhere. Forget if it was here or on the Facebook gear swap group.

I was briefly considering one of these, as I require a somewhat strong prescription. However I've found that having a conventional mask made with my custom prescription works quite well, and is preferable to the overly complicated Hydrooptix. They weren't around for very long at all, and don't have the ability to correct for astigmatism.

Hi Paul,

Some twelve years ago, picked up one on Ebay, NOS, gave it a try for a couple dives and relisted it. Actually made some money on the deal.

My eyes are in the range that the masks work without resorting to contacts. The big problem I ran into is that the skirt didn't fit my face. Super high volume mask that took a lot more air to clear.

Hydrooptix masks are getting long in the tooth. Ordinarily not a problem but with Hydrooptix they used a polycarbonate lens that scratched pretty easily. The problem was bad enough that they offered replacement lens for sale.

The Hydrooptix mask was a great technological breakthrough and without a doubt the best mask for the 2% of divers who could use them.

Is it definite that they are out of business? Has this been officially announced? They were always iffy in terms of responding to queries. I've been trying to reach them to get new lenses in a mask I got 3 years ago. Thanks for info.

Is it definite that they are out of business? ...//...
Long dead and gone. Spoke to the woman who drove this product on several occasions in the past. All lines down, now.

One of those "almost brilliant" things. So close, yet total fail. The field of view was beyond belief! I loved that about it.

Dealing with the high volume was worth it, but the final straw was that it was stupidly designed for a stunningly flat facial affect. Anyone with a normal European nose would end up with a monster headache due to the pressure on the bridge of the nose. Sold mine and a spare lens to a dude in Hawaii who could dive it. Mahalo!

Somebody bring this idea back to life...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom