Old Scuba Point Open To Divers Again?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you for sharing, I would like to see your photos if you find them

Anyone wanna dive PK off my boat with me? I will be diving sidemount doubles with 100% O2 for deco.

Roger I can’t get there this weekend due to a couple of my kids graduating. I also am only AOW certified.
I would love to hear what the conditions after you go though.

I will dive to your level then. No big deal. Let me know when you can make it. I learned a ton from diving with people far more skilled than I am.

Roger, I have learned from more experienced divers, and I have learned from newer divers. Sometimes a fresh perspective really helps even if it is just seeing someone solve a problem in a new way. I never stop learning.
I am an old newer diver. I started diving with my father in the late ‘60s/early ‘70s, then stopped diving in the ‘80s and just got back into it a few years ago. I had to learn to use a bcd, octo, etc., but when I did I immediately saw the benefits.
I am almost 60 and will probably never do tech diving-it just seems like a lot of work.
I do want to dive PK again. I last dived there in the ‘70s so I imagine it has changed a lot. We dived Scuba Point, Hell’s Gate and the Icebox.
I mostly dive with my brother but he has health isdues. I need to get used to diving with other people.

Well let's go sometime. Would be great to dive with someone who has been there before. Tech diving isn't that bad. We can jump in and try the vis in different spots.

I remember doing my AOW certification dives at Scuba Point at PK lake in 1994. We went all the way to the bottom, at about 90’ IIRC. Needed a good light, as surface light is completely gone before you reach 30’, and AT LEAST a 5mm wetsuit with hood and gloves, as the water gets very chilly below the thermocline. We descended feet first, keeping our lights shining below - lots of dead trees on the bottom, with branches sticking up all over; you’ve got to be careful descending, or one of those old tree branches will give you an unwanted and very unpleasant prostate exam, if you know what I mean. You’ve got to have good buoyancy control and stay off the bottom; there’s about 12-18” of very fine silt on the bottom, easily kicked up by a misplaced fin flip, and that will ruin whatever visability you have. Haven’t been back since 1994, and for me, if I want a cold Texas lake dive, Clear Springs Scuba Park just outside of Terrell is a lot closer and has better vis, though you can’t do the deep dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom