How to kick effectively?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I actually like my split fins but for only one type of diving and that's a drift dive. Everything else I use my normal fins for. I also have some issues with the frog kick but again I'm sure it nothing that practice won't cure. More diving = Better diving.

I am a open water diver and prefer to flutter kick. I have had many types of fins. I like my Apollo Biofins Splits for when I need to wear boots. I can frog kick, back kick, helicopter with them, but find the flutter kick the most useful for open water diving.

If you are not a cave diver or wreck penetration diver, why frog kick vs. flutter and when do you need to back kick ?

Last edited:
If you are not a cave diver or wreck penetration diver, why frog kick vs. flutter and when do you need to back kick ?

Aiming for the shot. Though I too have problems with back-pedalling and often turn away and around instead. Esp. in OW when there's any kind of water movement: I just don't get enough propulsion from back-finning...

Aiming for the shot. Though I too have problems with back-pedalling and often turn away and around instead. Esp. in OW when there's any kind of water movement: I just don't get enough propulsion from back-finning...
Aiming for the shot as in spearfishing or photography ?

I shoot video and do all kinds of things with my fins to get my body and camera in the right position. Frog, back, ankle kick, etc..

Last edited:
Frog kick if done properly, wont kick up sand and silt from bottom. Back kick is for positioning. Both are useful IMO

Agreed and a flutter kick done properly won't kick up sand or silt from the bottom either.

Not knocking the frog kick. It is the best kick for cave and wreck penetration diving. Just kind of annoying how much it gets discussed and recommended for open water diving. IMO, for open water diving, the flutter kick is more useful. Plus, a proper flutter kick is easier to learn than a proper frog kick.

I am a open water diver and prefer to flutter kick. I have had many types of fins. I like my Apollo Biofins Splits for when I need to wear boots. I can frog kick, back kick, helicopter with them, but find the flutter kick the most useful for open water diving.

Why learn to back kick? My experience is sometimes I just need to put the breaks on to keep from drifting too close to the reef for something I'm photographing. A quick back kick stops my momentum and makes me still in the water. I really suck at going backwards but I have learned to use the technique to stop myself. If I need to go a different direction I just turn arround. I find myself changing from flutter, modified flutter, frog without thinking a lot about it, it just happens based on where I am and where I want to go. Knowing all three is like have three gears in my transmission. I only have 50 dives and am still learning with every dive

Agreed and a flutter kick done properly won't kick up sand or silt from the bottom either.

Not knocking the frog kick. It is the best kick for cave and wreck penetration diving. Just kind of annoying how much it gets discussed and recommended for open water diving. IMO, for open water diving, the flutter kick is more useful. Plus, a proper flutter kick is easier to learn than a proper frog kick.

Personally, I find the frog relaxing as a general cruising kick in open water while sometimes throwing in a flutter every once in a while. Frog is also great for muck open water diving.

I think the important thing is to know a number of kicks, then perfect each of them so you can use the right one for you in the right circumstances.

Yes, it is great to have the ability to be proficient in many different types of kicks. Never a bad thing.

It is also nice to see some calm logical responses.

wetb4igetinthewate, I am surprised to see that you don't accept students in your AOW class if they have split fins. Makes sense for a TEC dive class where frog kick is part of the curriculum, but seems like a strong prerequisite for AOW class.

The OP is a brand new diver that already owns split fins. I don't agree that buying new fins should be his priority.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom