Hmmmm, not such spectacular backing...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

51 dives......

I worked in sales and customer service for a bike company and this was one of my biggest pet peeves. It's a TWO YEAR warranty. Not an "X" number of dives warranty. Your number is subjective and is irrelevant to the warranty.

I had people who would say "I know it's out of warranty by a month, but I've only used it 4 times!", then I'd have people that say "I know it's out of warranty by a month, but I've only used it 4012094801824 times!". If it's out of warranty it's out of warranty and they don't actually owe you anything.

Part of the issue, is fairness too. If you replace one person's that's technically out of warranty, but they only used it 4 times, than you've got to replace the person's that's out of warranty, but used it 780382082342 times as well, since there's no written information limiting the amount of dives under warranty.

I guess, maybe I've just had good luck with Shearwater, but I think they're being pretty damn fair.

Boards do that, whether in a dive computer or in your home machine. I've replaced a number that were outside of warranty, which is typically one year, for chip based components. Then for some reason, other boards last for years....go figure.

Bummer... Shoulda sent it to Canada!
No, it isn't awful, but, FWIW, I've seen significantly better done, documented here numerous times on SB...

51 dives......

I was one of those who posted... Mine went back to SW in BC, was returned in 4 days with "all new everything", including screen and screws, even though I was just getting a weird error. Based on the parts list that accompanied the shipment they had replaced everything inside the case. They even sent a new padded case, new straps, a t-shirt and decal and a note to say thanks for using their 'pooter. I was never asked when/how/from whom I bought the computer. It was "Customer Service" on steroids...

I suspect the "issue" here is that the US service center is NOT Shearwater, so they need to charge or they are going out of business.

I suspect the "issue" here is that the US service center is NOT Shearwater, so they need to charge or they are going out of business.

Winner! Winner! Winner! Yes, the relationship between two companies is exactly the issue. Say all you want of my comments, but SW has come to the table with a counter proposal where the repair center remains profitable. I am now believing in the "Customer Support" legend SW was known for.

Now to save up for the next one....

....or it's because they find you annoying and want you to shutup. But, either way, I guess you won! Congrats.

I was about to send you a PM suggesting you express your modest displeasure to Lynn, but it seems they beat me to the punch.

They really are a fantastic company to deal with... The reality is the most dive computers are essentially unrepairable, so even your recent experience is pretty decent, even if it wasn't what you expected or wanted. Most companies would have told you to buy a new one.

....or it's because they find you annoying and want you to shutup. But, either way, I guess you won! Congrats.

Such a skeptic... ;-)

If you had taken the time to look at the complete "book of comments" about Shearwater's service, I don't think you would have posted this. I think Bob's negative comment was about the worst thing I have ever read about them, and by any measure, a company repairing an out-of-warranty device is almost unique these days.

I think their original offer was pretty fair, but Shearwater has stepped up again and demonstrated their excellent service.

I think their original offer was pretty fair, but Shearwater has stepped up again and demonstrated their excellent service.

Explain...?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom