Traveling with SCUBA gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I carry on my whole basic kit. I dive sidemount and can get even I need for warm water doubles in a backpack with the find strapped on the outside.

I am a destination diver, and I always travel with my own gear. When I pack, it is usually some variation of this:

Carry on:
  • Travel BCD (currently a Cressi Air Travel) wrapped in a 3mm vest
  • Reg Bag with Regs, Dive Computer & C Cards (my logic is I won't dive without a reg, so if I have my reg bag, I will have my C Cards)
  • Mask (Prescription lenses)
  • Travel Documents
  • A few clothes (swim suit, 1 pair shorts 1 T-Shirt ... you get the idea)
  • My TSA Zip lock bag with toiletries & meds
  • Camera & a lens or 2 (I use a small mirrorless camera for diving)
  • iPad

"Personal Item" Carry on:
  • 2x strobes (and Fiber Optic cables)
  • Camera housing
  • Dome Port
  • Macro Port (maybe)

Checked Luggage (a generic canvas roller duffel):
  • Fins & booties
  • Wetsuit
  • Snorkel
  • Camera tray & arms
  • Save a dive kit
  • Mesh "Boat Bag" (everything above gets put into the boat bag)
  • The rest of my clothing which will tend to be location dependent
  • A "Power Bar" for recharging batteries
  • Travel Scale
  • A small lockable Pelican (or similar) case (just big enough to lock up / secure my passport, cell phone & wallet)

Maybe I am cynical, but I assume that the airline will lose my checked luggage. If/when it does I still want to be able to continue my vacation with as little inconvenience as possible while they find it. On the way home, I will pack more into my checked luggage since there normally is not an issue if it takes a couple days to get to me if it gets lost.

While few things offer the protection of Pelican Cases, they are big and they are heavy. You likely won't need that level of protection for things that you carry on. In this case, those cheap soft-sided insulated lunch boxes that you find in department stores are great.

I typically use a regular 30 year old non-descript carry-on suitcase for all my gear except fins which are too long to fit in the bag. I have a backplate/wing which i disassemble, a shorty and full wetsuit, prescription mask (and backup prescription mask), booties, regulator, suit and dive shirt, rubber weight belt, lights and batteries and snorkel. I think that's all for the carry-on. Note: I almost always get my carry-on checked by TSA.

Cameras are mostly checked but sometimes I put a GoPro in my backpack.

Rarely, I do just put everything in checked, but ALWAYS have my prescription mask with me since it's the only thing I can't rent when I get there.

Jim

I bring my entire kit sans weights and insulation. I want the exact equipment that I use at home. I'm sure of where everything is and how it will function, I know the maintenance record, and I'm not going to get trench mouth from a reg that someone else had in their mouth.

Regs for main and pony, pony, computer, perscription mask, compact camera setup (ActiveOn CX Gold) all in carry-on. Fins, harness & soft backpack, rash guard, swim shorts, dive shirts, etc. in checked.

We own and travel with our own gear. I found a travel duffel (with wheels that looks similar to what you'd see kids athletic gear stored in) at TJMaxx for $40. We pack our travel BCs, snorkels, fins, towels, and much of our swim/dive clothes. And we check it, fully loaded it weighs about 35 lbs. Regs, computers, hubby's mask (rx lenses) and cameras go in hand carry luggage. We have found that a few 6 packs of high end IPA's even made it to our destination in the checked bag wrapped in towels!

If we are going to a resort, we don't take extra towels (I like to have 2 sets to rotate daily). We have found that renting houses or condos has made it easier to 'do our own thing' on a dive trip and just coordinate with a local dive shop.

Find what works for you and HAVE FUN!

BYO IPA's - Excellent!!! :)

I travel with my own gear.

One full-sized checked bag.

I did rentals for the first couple of trips, but rental wetsuits gave me an icky feeling, and regulators breathed differently from one to another. I didn't like not knowing what you would get, and the varying degrees of suitability. I also wanted a level of quality of equipment that is generally not available through a rental.

Sequence of purchases:

after certification and one trip:

- Mask & Fins upgrade, Wetsuits, boots

after one more trip:

- BCD, Regulator kit, Computer, Gear Bag

after a couple more trips:

- Regulator kit upgrade

after a few more trips:

- Computer upgrade, Photo/Video equipment

now and in the future:

- Photo/Video equipment upgrades

Last edited:
Funny you should ask. I just ordered a "Travel BCD" a couple of hours ago. I'd been taking along all of the rest of my equipment and renting a BCD when I got there. I figured that I spent well over $100 in the past year renting BCDs so my new one should pay for itself fairly quickly. Plus I'll know where the buttons and dump valves are.

I have a typical carry-on bag that is the maximum allowed on many airlines. I am able to fit into it my fins, mask, snorkel, fin socks, gloves, regulator setup, a couple of flashlights, my GoPro clone, and a few other miscellaneous pieces of gear. I also have a small backpack which is my under-the-seat carry-on and in it is my 2.5mm full wetsuit. Since I (so far) only take trips to tropical places this wetsuit is just the right thing. Between the pieces of dive gear I manage to stuff in some T-shirts, shorts, socks, underwear, snacks, USB chargers, ziplock bag of bathroom stuff, and on top I carefully place a couple of decent shirts so I can go to a nice restaurant etc. I also have room in my backpack for more clothes. I bring along a hoodie sweatshirt which I attack to the outside of my main carry-on with a strap. We'll see how well the new BCD fits into my carry-on--I may have to buy more souvenir T-shirts than I have been :wink: I have not yet been on a dive boat that did not provide tanks and weights included with the dives.

My fins are the old, regular ScubaPro Jet Fins (not split) and they fit right into my carry-on and are good, all-purpose fins. Most fins won't fit into my carry-on. I have seen too many people arrive before their luggage and end up renting anyway so I don't do checked bags. I like using my own regulator because I know it and it's condition.

I'm planning a trip to Catalina Island (California) on the ferry so I don't yet know how I'm going to get my 7mm wetsuit in a suit case and still have room for the other stuff but you can be sure I won't be diving in 53 degree water with my 2.5mm :wink:

Yeah I've been thinking about getting a travel BCD but need to do more research. At most, I'm thinking mask/snorkel, fins, regulator and BCD. I agree on using your own regulator because you are familiar with it and can be certain it works. I didn't see any booties or a hood, which you'll be needing if you are diving in Catalina. Probably not as cold as Northern California but it's no warm water diving. Definitely will need more than your 2.5mm. Even my 4/3 suit is not enough for here! Like you, I don't plan on doing any more cold water dives.

Dear RBO,

Have traveled with complete kit for many years...all you should be looking for at your destination is a ride to the wrecks, tanks and weights...I place my regs, masks, computer and C-Cards in my carry-on...everything else is in checked baggage...I have a standard size, hard-shell, lockable Samsonite case that everything else goes in...I prepare a gear list to show the folks at check-in...usually...sporting equipment...including scuba gear travels with no additional overage charges...stay away from "branded" scuba gear bags...your advertising that you have a bag with maybe $5000. worth of scuba gear...regardless of what some people may tell you...don't waste your money on a shorty...travel with a full suit...and gloves...if you are unfamiliar with the appearance of fire coral an exposed hand, arm or leg will introduce you to the species immediately...as well has helping the check-in staff your gear list makes an excellent "personal property" check on crowded dive boats...I've been on large dive boats...as many as 30 divers (Turks an Caicos)...lots of gear...lots of opportunity to lose something you can't get a quick replacement for...type your list on your computer...print it off...and seal it in a plastic page protector...or if you can't live without your smart phone...put your gear list on your phone...when you get back to your hotel...fill your tub with warm water and give everything a good...quick...wash...regs and computer first...then your BCD...(activate inflator buttons and dump valves to flush out residual saltwater)...then wash everything else...dry, out of the sun, on your patio or balcony...everything should be dry and clean for the next morning...buy a good quality, large, net duffel to carry your gear to and from the dive operators...when empty they collapse into nothing...everything...including your suit, BCD and regs should fit in your net duffel...avoid dive operators dunk tanks for rinsing your gear post dive...the tanks are usually only clean in the morning...by mid day they have as much sea water in them as the ocean...make contact with your destination dive operator prior to your departure...it's always good to know what they have...and do not have available...a lot of destination dive operators although very good are very "bare bones" even something as simple as an "O" kit is not available...also a lot of operators have no ready source for oxygen, are not gas blend certified...so there is no NITROX.

Hope this helps...Warren

Warren,

Thank you very much for the advice. I plan on doing mainly warm water dives so I don't I'll need a full wetsuit. At most maybe a wetsuit top, but I am hoping to stay in warm waters! I understand your point about the fire coral but I'm hoping I can avoid that disaster. Will definitely look into getting a suitcase or hard case for all the gear. Leaning towards traveling with the main equipment as you stated: mask/snorkel, regulator, BCD, fins. Everything else I can rent if needed. Gives me peace of mind knowing at least I have a working regulator and BCD, especially if they are mine and taken good care of.

I have taken my own complete dive set all over the world; the concession I make is a I have a lighter weight travel BC. I have my own gear, I am familiar with it, and I like to use it. I recently went to a Scubapro demo where the entire tropical destination gear package went into a single carryon backpack. Since many liveaboard request that you use collapsible luggage, I use a non-descript roller bag and use my fins, BC, and wetsuit as bracng for the more sensitive gear such as regulators. I throw my mask and computer in my carry on.

I'm with you there. Having your own gear that you know and are familiar with is a huge plus. One less thing to worry about. Good to know about the collapsible luggage on liveaboards.

Back
Top Bottom