Wife fear of mask clearing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

homerdoc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife has decided she would like to get certified. She had her first pool skills the other night. When she came home she told me there was no way she could clear her mask/take it off etc. It "freaked" her out.

I told her, this is the most basic skill and for sure you have to have it. Suggested if having a mask off under water disturbs her, submerge with it off and then put it on when you are on the bottom of the pool. She will see all is okay. She is at round two tonight so we'll see if that helps her.

Has anyone else dealt with this, and have any advice I could give her? I told her it is fine if she doesn't get certified, so there is not big pressure. It would actually save me a lot lugging heavy equipment to places if she doesn't!

JJ

Have her wear swimming goggles under the mask....so when she removes the mask, she'll still have eye protection...after a few dozen skill attempts, this may very well allow her to try without the goggles. Either way, she can either close her eyes or she can keep them open.

Alternatively, she swims to the bottom...removes mask and swim to surface immediately...doing this a dozen or so times and then see if she'll try removing and sitting on the bottom for a few seconds finally working her way to replacing the mask..

Work, work, work...good luck.

You can close your eyes. It's not a skill that requires sight.

You don't have to completely flood the mask or remove it either. Just pull the silicone and let a little water in and purge it. Then do it again with a little more. Little steps. Work your way up to complete mask removal.

And maybe spend more time with your face in the water without the mask. Swim a few laps regular.

Just need more time in the water, to get used to it. My sister and I have swum our entire lives. During "discover scuba" we removed our masks with our eyes closed, traded goggles, put them on and purged. Trying to mess with the instructor. It just takes time in the water for all of this to get easy. Don't sweat it.

But in the end, taking off a mask, losing a mask, swimming in salt water with only your eyes, kinda needs to be "no big deal".

Last edited:
My little brother would sit in the tub with his mask and snorkel. He would fill his mask with water and then practice clearing his mask and snorkel. He was a very clean little kid for all the time he spent in the tub playing with toys.

Last edited:
Lots of things she can try. One is practise airway control--like mouth breathing with nose shut off. Out of water/in water. Snorkeling or just submerging with snorkel and no mask. I'm sure there are numerous other ideas and videos on the internet by instructors.

Only try the swimming goggles under the mask suggested by flyboy08 above in very shallow water. In the deep end of the pool it could result in a painful squeeze, especially in a nervous student who might not notice it right away.

When I taught swimming lessons face in water with eyes open was always the most important skill in beginners of all ages and all about comfort in the water. Just submerging with no mask is what I'd try to practice first, but acquiring comfort in the water is different for everyone.

As a personal preference, I don't open my eyes in chlorinated water. Even when demonstrating mask removal to classes, my eyes were closed, and I explained that I just hate chlorine. Salt water-- no problem. Maybe the eyes open way would be easier for some--if you can find a lake, or use a filled bathtub, etc.

My wife has decided she would like to get certified. She had her first pool skills the other night. When she came home she told me there was no way she could clear her mask/take it off etc. It "freaked" her out.

I told her, this is the most basic skill and for sure you have to have it. Suggested if having a mask off under water disturbs her, submerge with it off and then put it on when you are on the bottom of the pool. She will see all is okay. She is at round two tonight so we'll see if that helps her.

Has anyone else dealt with this, and have any advice I could give her? I told her it is fine if she doesn't get certified, so there is not big pressure. It would actually save me a lot lugging heavy equipment to places if she doesn't!

JJ

There are usually only two issues involved. One is "mechanical" (for lack of a better word) and the other emotional.

The mechanical issue, if she has this is that many people start out without the dexterity to inhale through the mouth and then exhale via ONLY the nose. This can lead to a couple of knock on effects, the most obvious being that the mask with either not clear or the diver will get water in their nose, which can be a very uncomfortable feeling.

The emotional issues, if she has this, normally has to do with confidence. What I normally see is that once a diver is confident that they can clear the mask to their own satisfaction, that the emotional issues clear up. In rare cases I've had students who took a long time to get there because of previous traumas. In order to really break down what is necessary to do for your wife about these panicky feelings, I'd really need to see her in person. The good news is that it usually doesn't take long to get over that if you have decent assistance.

For the short term she can try dealing with both of these by taking a step back before taking a step forward. What I would suggest is that she STAND in shallow water with a regulator (or snorkel) in the mouth with no mask on and then to simply bend over and breathe with her face in the water. This is how I start out every OW course and since I've been doing this the number of "mask issues" I've had has dropped by at at least 90%.

The breathing is in through the mouth and out through the nose until it feels comfortable. This helps the diver adjust to the feeling of the nose being in contact with water while they can still breathe and builds up a tolerance for this feeling while at the same time teaching them an important lesson, which is that when the mask is flooded you have all the time in the world to deal with it. This exercise pays huge dividends once you start trying this skill under water.

So start with that and don't be afraid to spend 1/2 hour or more on it if that's what she needs to become comfortable because like I said, everything else after that needs to build on this foundation of getting the mechanics of the breathing right and to learn to tolerate the nose being exposed to water while you breathe.

Good luck
R..

Back
Top Bottom