Traveling with your camera? Cases/bags??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lwang06

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi, I just bought my new camera setup, I currently have sony rx100m2, with a nauticam housing, and 2 ys-d2 strobes with arms etc.... i'ts quite bulky and I'm just curious what do people use as far as camera bags/cases- I'm assuming most people bring it on as their carry on but with airlines getting cheaper and limiting to 1 carryon/personal item it makes it difficult as they recommend carrying your regulator and mask etc as well.

Any ideas/recommendations/pictures would be appreciated.

I use a padded lowe pro back pack as my carryon that i jam all of my important compact camera items into. I also use another lowepro camera bag as my personal item (purse) that i stuff a book headphones and ipad into. this means my tray and arms go in a checked bag. i do not do wide angle so no issues with trying to travel with a big honking lens larger than my head. But i carry a battery charger and a dive light in my carry on since I love night dives.

My reg is always checked. My mask is always checked. My divebuddy uses a prescription lens mask so she always carries a mask in her carryon.

I check my reg and mask with the rest of my dive gear. Not had a problem in 2-4 trips a year (knock on wood). My camera equipment goes in a small roller bag that fits under the seat. Rest of my stuff (iPad, headphones, etc) go in a back pack. When I've run into issues with airlines saying my roller bag is too heavy, I open it and plead with them. I've never had to check it. So far. I try to fly as much as possible on non low cost airlines because of larger bag allowances.

Thanks, my friend recently went to Maldvies on a liveaboard and they wouldn't allow the 1 checked bag/personal item on Emirates which I was surprised, she pleaded that her regular very important as it keeps her alive etc but they said no. I guess you just get lucky and worse case scenario I think I would check in my regulator and mask as well.

Previously I used a large Pelican case as a carry on but when I got a large dome port I ran out of room. There was only so much pick and pluck foam I could remove. In addition it become heavy to carry (no wheels) in airports. I went to a Manfrotto roller case which has everything - flat and dome ports, 3 lenses, ball connectors, camera, 2 strobes, cables, misc parts and pieces. Both of these cases are expensive solutions. I use a padded backpack for my reg, spare mask, spare clothes (minimal) and misc travel items.

I don't fly budget airlines so I have never had an issue. The only times I have had issues with the backpack was right after 9-11 and in Feb this year in Atlanta where I just had to pull out the reg. Never an issue in Dallas or LAX with equipment. Travelling has been to Caribbean and South Pacific.

If I had to check items I would check on insurance (new and homeowners). Airline coverage would not even be close.

Currently packing to leave tomorrow. Pelican hard case for housing and flat ports - have had a port cracked in a non hard side case so.... Reg, lights, mask, dive computer, dome port, spare batteries go in carryon as does laptop with just enough stuff to survive a day or two when luggage does not arrive. Camera and lenses in separate bag.

Something that will dictate where things go is the batteries that your rig needs. Airlines and TSA have regulations that dictate where different types of batteries and spares can be stored for travel. Video lights are problematic as they need powerful batteries and if they turn on mid flight can start a fire. Strobes have lots of battery, but don't generate quite so much heat and mine lock off.

Am actually going to have a conversation with the gate agent re this as it is not absolutely clear what can travel where (for the airline I am using). TSA is a bit clearer, but I am not travelling through the US.

I have been stopped in Hong Kong airport with a strobe in carryon. Took an hour to resolve and they had to call up to the flight crew for permission. Has only happened once in 30 + airports, but it was a pain and would have been even more of an issue if they would not fly it.

I fit my rx100, acquapazza case, strobe and the topside gear and regs in a Carry-on F-stop backpack with a couple of inserts I can remove. No issues on Emirates or KLM or local Indo airlines.

im2975-storm-case.jpe

Pelican Storm Case. My housing is too big for carry on so I pack as much into the case as possible and check it.

On my last several trips, the overhead bins were filled to the point that many passengers were forced to gate check carry on bags unless they fit under the seat.

Such a hassle. Plus if the bag gets gate checked, who knows how delicate the baggage handlers will be, how many bags will get put on top of mine or how much weight will be sitting on top of it.

I am to the point that I only carry a small back pack that fits under the seat holding expensive fragile items like my laptop, camera, etc.. Housings are pretty sturdy, they go in the checked luggage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom