4 days pure diving - Is Ambergris Caye the best choice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

.After all... There isn't a bad dive anyway :)

Unless you get left behind :rant:

Re: Blue Hole, I talked them down 60 or 70 bucks pp on an advanced booking because I had 4 divers, but I felt I could have paid less by booking once there. We did talk down rates on the zipline / cave tubing tour... Either way, I would not do it a 2nd time but do not regret the 1st one there...

I hope that AC together with a BH 3 dive trip will still make for great dives.

After all... There isn't a bad dive anyway :)

That's the right attitude. I was just "diving" (snorkeling) and vacuuming a shrimp tank and had a blast. :cheers: just getting wet and salty....yep...

If you want to cement your really really great memories of Cozumel, then that might be a reason to dive Ambergris. The diving is definitely a disappointment compared to pretty much all other Caribbean diving.(Its. better than the local lakes here in CO). The reef is hammered because it is exposed to severe wave action from storms, overuse, and pollution.
AC is fun for the restaurants, beach life and relaxing. There are some good suggestions for real Belize diving in previous posts.

Been to Ambergris twice. 1 week each time. Dove both trips. Every dive looked the same. For all I know we went to the same location all 20 dives. It's a one and done destination as far as diving goes. Spent a week at Glovers (Off the Wall) and loved it. ND wife thought it a bit rustic, but diving and water quality was much better than AC. Check it off your bucket list and head back to Coz.

Belize diving is way Superior to Cozumel there's got to be some people that don't understand the difference or have some sort of business interests on Cozumel posting here. The Reef in Cozumel is the same Reef that runs through Belize and it's the same reef that runs down to Roatan the big difference in favor of Belize diving is the atolls Mexico has nothing like it

Last edited:
I think to appreciate the BH it helps to have an idea of the geology and natural history of what you are seeing. I thought that swimming among stalactites formed in a massive dry cave now 120' + underwater was pretty cool. It was my 16 yr old son's 7th open water dive and he thought so too!

I assume that you have never been out to Banco Chinchorro off Xcalak, Mexico
Yeah but that's cheating. Xcalak is only a few miles north of the Belize border. Cozumel is farther away.

Yeah but that's cheating. Xcalak is only a few miles north of the Belize border. Cozumel is farther away.

Yeah. Geographically speaking, Xcalak is an extension of Belize. It's also remote from the more common tourist destinations--you really need a car to get there--so it's not what people think of when they think of diving in Mexico. Of course, it IS part of Mexico, so lthomas132 wins the point.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom