Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jagfish

The man behind the fish
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Just finished a look/review of the Apeks Pocket shorts...first four minutes talks about the "why" of pockets...can be skipped over to get to the review. Some seriously nice shorts...

These are fantastic shorts that are really well-fitting, should stay in place while you move around, and the pockets themselves are versatile and functional.

I'll likely start using these Apeks shorts with the new wetsuit I plan on acquiring this summer (which will not have pockets).

Contents:
1. Background on good reasons to have pockets (and hence pocket shorts) [0-4 mins]

2. Review of the Apeks Tech Shorts (Pocket Shorts). This begins just after the 4 min mark, for those who want to skip ahead. [4:20-end]

I've been diving these shorts for about a year now and probably have about 30 or so dives in them now. I primarily bought them to use with my neutral buoyant wet suit for river anchor and boat recovery, needing to cary some tools, custom lanyards, and shackles. Very happy with them. The only issue I have had is the metal d-rings inside the two pockets. I have had them come off twice now. On my pair of shorts, the d-rings have a very small gap (evidently not small enough) that can allow it to come undone from the loops that they are hanging from. I fixed this by putting them in a vice and removing the "Gap".

I have about 40-50 dives in mine and I really like them. I sometimes wear them over an exposure suit and I often wear them with a 1 -2 mm top rather than a shorty.

I looked at the Scuba Pro shorts for my daughter but I did not like the cinch clip waist. The Apeks shorts are much, much better quality than the Scuba Pro.

Mine do not have a gap. Great shorts!

Best

GJS

I know some working instructors that use them. Both were initially very happy with them, buy after several months of (intensive) use, they were very disappointed with the construction quality and lack of ruggedness.

I know some working instructors that use them. Both were initially very happy with them, buy after several months of (intensive) use, they were very disappointed with the construction quality and lack of ruggedness.
Yikes...thanks for that input...at this price, I do hope they last...

DevonDiver wrote that after several months, the shorts did not meet the instructors' requirements. And the shorts were used intensively.

So, several months could mean 3+ months; let's say 5. Intensively, could mean 20 days with 3 dives per day per month. That gives 20X3X5=300 dives. I paid about $75 for my Apeks shorts. If I got 300 dives, then each dive would only have costed me 25 cents per dive. That is acceptable value for me but value is very individual.

With respect,

GJS

DGX doesn't have the fancy belt and adjustment design, it just have draw string. I like the simplicity. At 1/3 of the cost, I will definitely choose DGX over this. DGX is identical to Highland in design and feel of material. I am not sure if they are actually the same shorts to.

DGX doesn't have the fancy belt and adjustment design, it just have draw string. I like the simplicity. At 1/3 of the cost, I will definitely choose DGX over this.

I had the Scuba Pro shorts that had a draw string. The problem I had was when I wore the shorts over my swim trunks: if I had a few things in my pockets, the shorts became heavy and uncomfortable. This problem was eliminated when I switched to the Apeks shorts which has better carrying support.

GJS

Back
Top Bottom