Dive Instructor Pulls Knife from Nurse Shark's Head

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's a nice thought but after falling through the water column I doubt if a knife would still have enough force to embed itself in the shark's head. It might cause a scratch or a cut but not become so deeply embedded that it stayed stuck even while the shark was swimming - that's my opinion - but I am not a physicist.

The shark, not the knife.

Not a typical dive knife but maybe something like a fisherman may have on his boat. Did it get away when a fisherman tried to finish it off?

The shark, not the knife.

Okay, I get it, that's a possibility but I am glad that the shark got away and that Brett helped it out - and that the guy lost his knife!

Last edited:
Yay Brett!!! I would have been so sad and disgusted if I had seen that. I took a pic of a shark with its head in a hole in the reef at Brac. Can anyone tell me why it was doing that?

The Cayman Compass has more information about the shark and knife incident, the incident happened at Snapper Reef on Monday but the shark was seen again in the same area on Wednesday and seems to be doing well.

The article also suggests that the knife-wielder was a fisherman and reminds readers that it is illegal to take sharks in Cayman waters.

Cayman Brac diver removes knife from shark | Cayman Compass

I think that this little nurse shark deserves a name, I suggest "Mack" as in "Mack the Knife"! :D

No way.. Mark.. as in that is going to leave a Mark..

Mark is good, too - but maybe this shark should be called "Lucky"!
Not wery Lucky, he got a knife stuck in his head.

Brac instructor removes 12-inch knife from shark’s head

How could a shark get a knife stuck in its head, unless some jerk stabbed it!

Not everyone is an expert on which sharks are g0od and bad.

I don't know the difference between a coral and a king snake. They are the ones with white red and black rings on it. They are just in different patterns. If I find one in the yard I am getting a HOE from the shed. The only good snake for me is a dead one. I can clearly see how the same would apply for an unexperienced diver, as so many are, and can make the same decision. If it was a blatent attack by the diver against nature, the knife probably would not have still been there.

8ea698e33b20298ddbaeb07c18eabc73.jpg

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom