Alternative weight distribution / stowing equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

offfi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey guys!

Until last autumn, I have been diving with a weight integrated jacket BCD (SeaQuest Pro QD). Almost all my friends dive this BCD and the rest of them use Scubapros.

Out of curiosity, I bought a "back inflate BCD", not a BP/W, but a good base to tinker with.
It does have weight pockets on the waist belt and lacks trim pockets.

I dove it twice in the pool without weights, in t-shirt and shorts, with just a 4L steel tank. And it felt great. Pure freedom! The next step would be diving naked, but that's another story.

So here is my plan:
I want to dive it in warm water, with just a rash guard and just as little weight as possible. Tanks will most likely be AL80s, opposed to what I'm used to.

- I want to wear the weights (if needed) somewhere near my shoulders, rather than around my waist.
I have this idea to attach them to my shoulder straps, somewhere between shoulder and chest. ("sinky feet")
I sure am not the first one who tried this, however I couldn't find any first hand reports on this.
I would love to hear your opinion! (Might try it regardless...)

- Until now, I used to stuff things (SMB, light, backup light, slate, etc.) in my BC pockets. Which I don't have on this BC anymore. Any useful info (links) on how to attach gear on a BC without trouble?

Thanks in advance!

I have the Litehawk BC that sounds like this. Around the shoulders there are 2 trim pockets and with mine I can fit around 10lbs (2x 5lbs). However it would end up being non-ditchable weight.

The other issue would be trim. I suspect that this would make you top heavy and be fighting a bit to keep level.

The way I am setup (larger guy, cold water with 7mil wetsuit and full face mask so I end up with around 32lbs weight). I have 10lbs in the back trim pockets. Then I have 20lbs (4x 5lb) in belt pockets turned upside down so they can be quick ditched. I then sometimes will clip 2lbs in the center of my back (there is a D ring there).

As for carrying things I tend to love the retractable pulls. I have 3 of them and will cycle what I need for the trip. The BC has 3 D rings per side. 1 near the shoulder, one on the adjustment strap for the shoulders and 1 around the waist.

Gear Keeper Scuba Console Snap Clip Locking Retractor

I have one for my console computer, and then I will use one for a light or camera, and anything else I will be using for the dive. I have a small finger reel with a brass clip for my SMB, I keep these clipped together and just clip it onto a D ring. For my knife I have 1 with a hose mount on my power inflator, and a pair of EMT sheers that have a built in clip that I keep clipped to my SMB

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DKDNLYG/

and anything that is secondary I tend to use aluminum D carabiners to clip on. I only use the waist pockets for lead.

I've just put two of these on my shoulder straps: DGX Gears Trim Weight Pocket (each) I have not dived with them yet. I did dive with XS-Scuba ones and found them too bulky -- but I did like the trim and the fact that I can ditch the lead (as opposed to having it on the tank strap). I put them between the d-rings (2 on each shoulder) now, but we'll see how that works out: I might have to move them down a bit.

I also have this Zeagle Sport Black Utility Pocket on my belt. It holds a fair amount of junk but it tends to slip off when I unbuckle so I have it bungeed to the hip d-ring. SMB and spool would be a tight fit, though, those go on the butt d-ring. I believe a few SBers swear by DGX shorts: DGX Neoprene Pocket Shorts

That's on a basic bp harness, no idea what you back-inflate has.

Hey guys!

Until last autumn, I have been diving with a weight integrated jacket BCD (SeaQuest Pro QD). Almost all my friends dive this BCD and the rest of them use Scubapros.

Out of curiosity, I bought a "back inflate BCD", not a BP/W, but a good base to tinker with.
It does have weight pockets on the waist belt and lacks trim pockets.

I dove it twice in the pool without weights, in t-shirt and shorts, with just a 4L steel tank. And it felt great. Pure freedom! The next step would be diving naked, but that's another story.

So here is my plan:
I want to dive it in warm water, with just a rash guard and just as little weight as possible. Tanks will most likely be AL80s, opposed to what I'm used to.

- I want to wear the weights (if needed) somewhere near my shoulders, rather than around my waist.
I have this idea to attach them to my shoulder straps, somewhere between shoulder and chest. ("sinky feet")
I sure am not the first one who tried this, however I couldn't find any first hand reports on this.
I would love to hear your opinion! (Might try it regardless...)

- Until now, I used to stuff things (SMB, light, backup light, slate, etc.) in my BC pockets. Which I don't have on this BC anymore. Any useful info (links) on how to attach gear on a BC without trouble?

Thanks in advance!
Why do you think you are special? Why not TRY the normal weighting configuration? I have used weights on my shoulder straps, but that is only when wearing 16 mm thick neoprene on my chest and 25 lbs of lead on a belt.

It is quite likely that a simple weight belt with 5-8 lbs will work well for you - almost for sure less than 12 lbs. A weight belt is ditchable in emergencies and works well for a lot of people. Before you try to re-invent the wheel..

For some people weights on shoulder straps is the normal weighting configuration. Those with large flotation bags growing out of theirs chests for example.

For some people weights on shoulder straps is the normal weighting configuration. Those with large flotation bags growing out of theirs chests for example.

Yes. But I don't think this is the case for the poster. I touched upon that with my reply that this may cause a balance issue causing a head down angle.

Why do you think you are special? Why not TRY the normal weighting configuration? I have used weights on my shoulder straps, but that is only when wearing 16 mm thick neoprene on my chest and 25 lbs of lead on a belt.

It is quite likely that a simple weight belt with 5-8 lbs will work well for you - almost for sure less than 12 lbs. A weight belt is ditchable in emergencies and works well for a lot of people. Before you try to re-invent the wheel..
Why do you think you know more about his needs than he does?

The OP stated that he has "sinky feet" and needs some weight up top, he also dives with zero weight in the pool so will not be needing much weight at all in the ocean. I think a shoulder weight pocket for trim is perfectly fine, also often more easily ditchable than a weight belt.

Or do you believe that all primary weighting should only be on a belt?

The OP stated that he has "sinky feet" and needs some weight up top, he also dives with zero weight in the pool so will not be needing much weight at all in the ocean. I think a shoulder weight pocket for trim is perfectly fine, also often more easily ditchable than a weight belt.

Why? Because I have been doing this for a long time, both in warm and cold water, with thick wetsuits and nearly none.

As for the weighting.. If you were to pay attention to the OP's question; he stated that he liked the weighting and trim in a pool (presumably fresh water) with a steel tank and his questions was about weighting with a n aluminum tank in SALT water. The change from a fresh to sea water and the change in the tank, will require a considerable addition of lead.

Of course you categorized this amount of lead with a nebulous reference of: "not much at all" while I gave quantitative estimates for the amount of lead the OP might want to try. I would not want that much lead on my shoulder straps.

Don't know exactly what "all primary weighting" means actually, but I think weightbelts work quite well for a lot of people - if they use an elastic, rubber one.

It would help if he posted what BC he has, but there is likely a spot for trim weight behind the tank by the shoulders. He should put a little here as needed to balance him, but it sounded like he wanted to put all his weight on his chest which would likely lead to the reverse issue and keep the rest on his belt or weight pockets.

Although, i reread it, he does say it lacks trim pockets. My bad

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom