Planning Group trip late September early October suggestions please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blibecap

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am planning a trip to Cozumel late September or early October for 10-12 divers. We want to eat sleep and dive. I would like to find a nice place to eat, sleep and dive. I don't have any problems with all inclusive but we don't drink and dive so no need to pay for drinks. We want to dive 3-4 dives a day and would be interested in a 7-10 day trip. We are a senior group of experienced divers and photographers so we don't need a lot of hand holding, just want to dive and take pictures. We are very cost conscious and want a great value but don't need someone to assemble our gear or tote our cameras. Wen will be traveling from Cincinnati, Ohio if that matters.

Some of us have been to Scuba Club Cozumel and that was ok but the shore diving sucked and we were only scheduled for two morning dives so the afternoon and night dives were extra.

I would appreciate your suggestions and advice.

My wife and have enjoyed our accommodations at the Casa Mexicana in downtown San Miguel almost since it was built 15 years ago or something and since discovering Tres Pelicano's dive center (right around the corner from the Casa now) we've never been happier. Our last dive op changed owners and went downhill so we started searching here and on Tripadvisor and 3P's seemed to be among the best of the best and was in close proximity to us staying in town. I can't recommend them highly enough and crow about them every chance I get but I'm no different than everyone else who finally finds their own special dive op and crows about it. There are a handful of great dive ops on the island and 3P's is among them as others here will attest to. As far as Cozumel AI's are concerned... YUCK! I don't travel anywhere to stay in a land-based cruise ship and turn like hot dogs on a 7-11 roller grill with 500 of my closest gringo friends all wearing enough jewelry you'd think they found the Atocha that day and had a free-for-all... Just me though... Not my style... To each their own.

3P's runs 2, 2-tank dive trips per day so you'd have no prob getting your 4 dives in per day if you want that many. 3P's grants experienced divers the freedom to dive their own tank, DC or 70 minutes (whichever comes first). As we greatly enjoy UW photography, the freedom to stay shallower than the group where the light is better, our dives are longer and there's more to see in my opinion is very nice for us and we are usually among the last to surface due to our shallower photography dive profiles.

Personally, after logging 2+ hours underwater before noon I'm ready to kick back in the sun for a while and check out UW photos with a beer or cocktail but we've also been diving in December the past three years instead of early October which we did for 11 years or something. In September and October the water is a few degrees warmer but what is far different is the HEAT and HUMIDITY you experience on the way out, during the SI's, and on the trip back so ya don't get that chill that can start to build when diving the winter months.

With as many divers as you have, I'd say maybe look into renting a nice size house in town (assuming all of you can share the same common space for 7-10 days without getting into each others hair). You'd probably get a private pool, secluded grounds, an outdoor grill, make a trip to the grocery and kick back nightly to good times hanging out in your own little utopia or enjoy nights out in September or October when a large group such as yours would invade a place and enjoy a level of service you wouldn't believe!

Additionally, 3P's is known for it's courtesy transport to and from the Marina from town and with 7-10 divers in your group they'd probably book a taxi van at their expense to pick you all up at the house and deliver you all back daily (no need to screw around with ANY gear as they take care of it all from the day you show up until you pick it up for departure and that includes all neoprene. That's just the type of dive op 3P's is... It's "Boutique" diving without the "Boutique Price". I say contact Jeanie at 3P's via the Tres Pelicano's website and see what she may be able to put together for your group as 3P's has catered to many large groups. With 7-10 divers that time of year, you may have your own boat, captain and DM the entire trip!

Anyway, with 7-10 divers you have lots of $ as a group to search for the right accommodations and book an absolutely fantastic dive and stay package.

Last edited:
If you are not committed to your dates, putting it off to the end of October and early November would put you there for Dia De Los Muertos. It's is absolutely magical in the square. There are two parts, usually the October 31st Halloween party and November 2 for the actual Day of The Dead.

We stay at Casa Mexicana as well and dive with Aldora. With 10-12 divers you will need an op with a big boat, or (2) 6-pack boats for your group alone. You can probably get cheaper rates with that many divers as well, probably a free diver with 10 paid. There are probably hotel discounts to be had as well. Use your numbers to your advantage!!!!

We have dove with Blue Magic and Dive With Martin and can recommend them without hesitation. Aldora uses steel hp120 tanks for long dive times, our longest was over 90 minutes. Christi with Blue XT Sea is a huge supporter of this site and has an excellent reputation and loyal following. 3 P's has a great reputation and loyal followers as well. We all have our favorites for various reasons, the fun part is finding yours.

Good luck, safe travels,
Jay

Last edited:
I did a trip to Blue Angel with a group of 14 (two non divers) and it was fantastic. We had our own boat, so we could decide on departure times and to some extent sites. The hotel is great, and their group rates are excellent. Th shore dive is pretty good for Cozumel (and tanks are included with your stay). The restaurant on site is great (breakfast included in the package) , but taking a cab to town for dinner wasn't expensive either. All of the divers on the trip would go back without hesitation.

Occidental and ProDive onsite. 6 restaurants that are ok to great to yuck...if you tip well, the food seems to get better:). Nice facilities. Two pools and a very nice beach....away from town, But a white van ride in split 12ways is a no brained for local restaurants...were not big drinkers either, but they always placed a bottle of tequila on our table at dinner:)

Pleanty of other places to choose from too! It all boils down to having sonething for all 12 folks.

deepsea21 Thanks for the information. I looked at Tres Pelicano's dive center and decided that even tho it is a good deal it is not for our group. We need a larger more accommodating boat for our multiple large cameras. I also guess I am recanting and think that we would like the all inclusive without alcohol better than having to find a place to eat.

You might look at Fiesta Americana. We used to stay there before the renovation (got a little pricey) The reviews are very good and Dive House is the operator. They have many boats and certainly one that would accomodate all your divers, Any op can pick you up there and they are not as far south as the other AI

deepsea21 Thanks for the information. I looked at Tres Pelicano's dive center and decided that even tho it is a good deal it is not for our group. We need a larger more accommodating boat for our multiple large cameras. I also guess I am recanting and think that we would like the all inclusive without alcohol better than having to find a place to eat.
Suit yourself, but finding a place to eat, and eat well, on Cozumel is ridiculously easy.

I am planning a trip to Cozumel late September or early October for 10-12 divers.

Are you going to serve as the official trip leader? If so, you are going to have many issues and challenges that your typical vacationing couple do not have.

4 dives per day. That will be challenging. I go to Coz once or twice a year but if I was set on 4 dives per day, every day, I'd probably go to Roatan or Bonaire. You can do it in Coz for sure but most dives do a 2-tank morning trip and then relax. Afternoon trips can be harder to book but your size group should have no issues getting any charter any time. You could also add shore dives but they aren't comparable to the boat dives. I personally love shore diving and do it every visit but it's not the main card. Although in some respects they are better for macro photography. There are a number of shore sites but IMO they are pretty similar. Scuba Club shore dive will be as good as any. If you don't like that one you probably won't like the other ones. You could taxi to another site like Hotel Barracuda or Blue Angel and see for yourself. Both rent tanks and welcome outside divers.

AI resorts. Pros and cons. I've done it both ways and enjoyed it both ways. I can do it cheaper and better on my own and get better authentic food and learn new places. But it can be nice to not have to make decisions or deal with logistics. Getting 12 people organized can be like herding cats. If I was trip leader, I'd pick the AI. Trying to get 12 people to decide on a place for dinner and get ready and get there will make dinner a 3 or 4 hour production. Wouldn't want to deal with that every lunch and dinner.

Suit yourself, but finding a place to eat, and eat well, on Cozumel is ridiculously easy.

What I like about ai is I know exactly where to go for my next meal and what it is going to be like. With a group of 10-12 people going to a different restaurant can be very time consuming. It may not be the best but for this group it works. With 3-4 dives a day the schedule gets quite tight and I want my dives.

Back
Top Bottom