Diving from Cebu City

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boiler_81

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm going to be in Cebu City for a business trip mid March. I can tack on a couple of days at the beginning or the end of the trip in order to get some dives in. What are my options if I stay in Cebu City? What other easy to get to from Cebu City are there? Any suggestions?

1. Mactan Island in which the airport is located.
a. Daily commuting between Cebu City and the dive operator will be too tedious as the traffic can be horrendous. And if you do decide to move to Mactan then make sure you select a suitable place because in certain area eg. Maribago and Marigondon, Korean is dominated.
b. Which operator? This is the most tricky part!!! Speaking from my limited experience diving from Mactan, single diver is NOT being treated favourably. Some of the sites are very good but whether the operator will take you there is another matter.
2. Moalboal which is about 2hrs away by good road. Public bus is plentiful and safe.
Everyone is talking about the 'sardine" and you won't be disappointed. Dive with Nelson and stay at Eve's Kiosk. There are up-market places as well.

Last edited:
How long will you be staying?

Thanks for the tips. I will be staying on Mactan Island for my business.

1. Mactan Island in which the airport is located.
a. Daily commuting between Cebu City and the dive operator will be too tedious as the traffic can be horrendous. And if you do decide to move to Mactan then make sure you select a suitable place because in certain area eg. Maribago and Marigondon, Korean is dominated.
b. Which operator? This is the most tricky part!!! Speaking from my limited experience diving from Mactan, single diver is NOT being treated favourably. Some of the sites are very good but whether the operator will take you there is another matter.
2. Moalboal which is about 2hrs away by good road. Public bus is plentiful and safe.
Everyone is talking about the 'sardine" and you won't be disappointed. Dive with Nelson and stay at Eve's Kiosk. There are up-market places as well.

Both Hilutungan and Nalusuan Marine Sanctuary are highly recommended but relatively far(45mins). You might have to pay extra for the trip on top of the sanctuary entry fees.
Do not go to Tingo Point as the chance of seeing thresher shark is pretty slim.

There are enough interesting diving around Mactan to keep you happy for few days. Finding a good operator which can accommodate a single diver is not easy(same in most other places).
Good luck.

Thank You, I think I will come in a couple of days early and try the local diving.

Both Hilutungan and Nalusuan Marine Sanctuary are highly recommended but relatively far(45mins). You might have to pay extra for the trip on top of the sanctuary entry fees.
Do not go to Tingo Point as the chance of seeing thresher shark is pretty slim.

There are enough interesting diving around Mactan to keep you happy for few days. Finding a good operator which can accommodate a single diver is not easy(same in most other places).
Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom