Thailand Liveaboard or Resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wayne007

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've heard from Resort staff that diving in Thailand is not that good. I was wondering if a Liveaboard might be better. How would you rate the two? Is Thailand relatively safe to travel in?

Any info appreciated.

wayne

We went about 10 year ago, as a freind was doing his DM training there. We did some "local" diving that was ok, but our big trip was on a livaboard in the Smilan Islands. (Manta Queen II) It is some of the best diving you can see anywhere, and you really need to access via a livaboard. We were very pleased. The country can be sketchy, and there has been political upheaval so you need to do more research at least where you go. But they definately want to serve and maintain their tourist industry. Everybody is trying to sell something if your walking but if you tell them no and don't engage, then it was not really an issue. I was with my son and his buddy so we were out strolling around and going for food and drinks allot and had fun. (and ran into a guy from our town!)

I would like to go back to the region!
Bob in CO

Thanks that helps. I've heard that the local sites on resorts are a bit overdone, not terrible yet not great. It helps to talk to someone who has been there.

Which resort staff did tell you that?

There is some nice diving on the daytrips in the Andaman Sea, with completely different areas and diving: Racha Islands, King Cruiser-Shark Point area and Phi Phi area from Phuket and Krabi, Hin Daeng/Muang and Koh Haa from Lanta and 2 national parks from Khao Lak. And then there is the Gulf of Thailand. Now if your resort staff was referring to the diving there (in the Gulf) I agree.

Liveaboard diving is of course completely different, and the ultimate way of diving.

But when are you coming band where are you going?

Thanks, that may clarify what I've heard. We were thinking of April and doing the Andaman Sea route on the Aggressor. How would you rate Andaman with other areas?

I think this is far too broad a question. Thailand is a big country with many different dive spots. You need to do more investigation into certain areas. For example Koh Tao, is going to be very different than is was 20 years ago, however it's still far nicer than many other countries. This is on the east side of the country in the Gulf of Thailand. If you go west and stay on Phuket...it is very touristy. Also, the weather and seasons can be different. There are some dive spots that are easy diving for beginners. This means that the coral is often broken or silt is stirred-up as new divers learn about buoyancy and trim. But there are other spots reserved for more advanced divers. Koh Lanta and other such islands are less touristy and typically have nicer diving. The Liveaboard into Similans is very nice.
Basically do some research into what time of year you want to go and what to expect.
Travel here is relatively easy and relatively safe. Don't leave things lying around. Make use of safe-boxes. But overall it's a nice place to be.

I always recommend liveaboards over all other kinds of diving in Thailand. It is by far the most enjoyable and relaxing way to dive there. There isn't much shore diving, so the choice is between daytrips and liveaboards. I have been on about 10 liveaboard trips on MV Giamani, MV Manta Queen, MV Scuba Adventure, and MV Pawara. I am going on another two consecutive trips next week. From what I understand the Thailand Agressor is not very good value compared to the other offerings in the area.
I have always felt quite safe in Thailand. Of course i don't leave valuables lying around but tuck them away in my luggage somewhere. Ironically, another guest on the Manta Queen lost all her travel documents because she handed them over to a crew member for safe keeping in the ship safe. He accidentally dropped it all into the sea!
April is the end of the season, so make sure that trips are available for your dates. The marine parks will close for low season.
You can check out StevenL's web site (see his signature above) for an overview of the available boats.
Have a great trip!

We went to Thailand a few years ago. Bangkok. Changmai. Koh Tao. Koh Tao was great. Did most of my diving with GoodTime Adventures. They have speedboats to take you out to the sites. And also Master divers. They have larger boats to take you out to the sites. All of the diving I did was great. Healthy. Lots of fish. And the Sattakut Wreck to dive if that is of interest. Most of the tourists are 20 - 30 years old. Can be very laid back - or - a place to party. Whatever you interested in. We were there for 22 days. Didn't want to leave. Going back some day. Great food. Cheap to stay there. Enjoy Thailand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom