Suunto Bungee Mount Compatibility

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

3.j.l0uw

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a Suunto Gekko that I would like to convert to bungee mount. There is quite a couple of solutions for this, and the most popular seems to be the DSS mounts.

My problem is that, even though the mount is very well priced, I'm in South Africa and all the online shops that sells these expect me to pay up to 4x the value of the item for shipping.

One alternative that I found, that is actually locally available and very well priced, is this Suunto Bungee Adaptor Kit Zoop Novo/Vyper Novo [ULT/SS021886000]. Only problem is that it is said to be only for the Novo range.

My question now is, is this compatible with the Gekko, or are their straps that much different.

BTW, I'm not afraid of going DIY, but I haven't found any decent looking solutions yet.

Cheers,
E

Interesting concept...I would be interested to see how they work in person.

If you can't find a bungee mount in your area, how about just removing the rubber straps and inserting bungee cords under the strap pins? this is from a Vyper Air - but i think the gekko should be similar?

vyper-air-223902-jpg.216660.jpg

For what I know that bungee adaptor is specifically designed for the "novo"'s - they are different from all other suunto big display computers (Helo2/Vyper/Zoop) just look at the dimensions (dia/thikness).. Probably you should use the mount for those - just a post to suunto.com would dissipate any doubt - is a simple question though.

If you can't find a bungee mount in your area, how about just removing the rubber straps and inserting bungee cords under the strap pins? this is from a Vyper Air - but i think the gekko should be similar?

View attachment 398335

I like this idea. Haven't seen it done like this before. I'm just a bit worried about the pins sitting open like that. Seems like it could be a point of failure.

BTW, the old Vyper and Gekko was essentially the same computer. The Gekko just had a couple of software switches turned off to restrict some functions. You actually get a 3rd party app that can unlock it. Planning on doing that with mine and gain the ability to download dives.

For what I know that bungee adaptor is specifically designed for the "novo"'s - they are different from all other suunto big display computers (Helo2/Vyper/Zoop) just look at the dimensions (dia/thikness).. Probably you should use the mount for those - just a post to suunto.com would dissipate any doubt - is a simple question though.

I had a closer look at the Novo strap and the Gekko strap and yes, it would appear that they are quite different. One DIY solution that I saw actually cut off the strap and punched a couple of holes in the remaining stubs. Might give that a try, but don't really want to cut up a perfectly good strap.

View attachment 398335

Is there another type of strap in the picture under the upper pin in the picture in addition to the two bungee cords? If so, why and what is it please?

What bungee thickness did you use and do you think that the pins won't give and fall of?

I like this idea. Haven't seen it done like this before. I'm just a bit worried about the pins sitting open like that. Seems like it could be a point of failure.

Is there another type of strap in the picture under the upper pin in the picture in addition to the two bungee cords? If so, why and what is it please?

What bungee thickness did you use and do you think that the pins won't give and fall of?

About the pins being a failure point. It's the same pins holding the original rubber straps on the suuntos.
If you think about it, in the original configuration (rubber strap + two pushpins) there are multiple ways you can lose the dive computer:
-if the strap breaks you lose the computer
-if one of the two pins breaks you lose the computer
-if the strap buckle breaks you lose the computer

on the other hand with the two independent loops of bungee:
-if one bungee breaks you have another one still holding the computer
-if one pushpin breaks the computer remains with two loops holding the computer on the remaining pushpin
-if the knot on the bungee goes loose - you still have another loop holding the computer
*of course, just be sure the the pushpins are inserted properly and the bungee knot is secure

anyway, i have been using this for two years now and its fine. I did replace the bungee cords when they looked a bit frayed. i did add a plastic coil (those cheap earphone wire kink protector) on the pushpins as a spacer so that the bungees dont bunch up to one side - but this is not necessary

btw, if your gekko has the old suunto rubber protector boot - the bungees can also go under that boot and through the pushpins (ill look for a photo) so your computer and the pushpins have some protection - but maybe a thinner bungee would work better

about the thickness - i have to check the actual thickness but i think its 3mm? its thicker than the space between the pushpins and the computer

@BurhanMuntasser - about the strap between the bungee cords on the top part: it was a Timex velcro sports strap - it was meant to be my primary strap with the bungees as backup - it wasn't useful underwater. A light snag opens up the vecro completely so I have since gotten rid of it. Now its just the two bungee loops.

about the thickness - i have to check the actual thickness but i think its 3mm? its thicker than the space between the pushpins and the computer

Please verify. (3mm = 1/8")

Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom