Feb 19 2017 Cozumel diving fatality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've never had a power inflator fail to inflate my wing but I have had the LP hose blow off (damn those dry gloves and their lack of feel). It's a little disconcerting as you descend a bit too quickly and your ears can't keep up, but with experience you learn to quickly and calmly add a bit of air manually to arrest the descent while you reconnect the LP hose. The bigger issue here in the Great White North is the power inflator freezing and sticking open. You have to be be REAL quick to disconnect it and dump air or you are on the fast elevator to the surface. My son and I will often practice emergency connects and disconnects (including oral inflation) at the end of a dive.

It has never occurred to me that the DM is responsible for my safety. Should they watch out divers in trouble, yes. Help them, yes. I would hope other divers would do the same. But how in the world could they keep track of everyone at every moment? I'm lucky that I dive with my husband, and we continue to work on our buddy skills.
I can't imagine all the grief that everyone involved must be suffering. I'm so sorry for you all.

It has never occurred to me that the DM is responsible for my safety. Should they watch out divers in trouble, yes. Help them, yes. I would hope other divers would do the same. But how in the world could they keep track of everyone at every moment? I'm lucky that I dive with my husband, and we continue to work on our buddy skills.
I can't imagine all the grief that everyone involved must be suffering. I'm so sorry for you all.

The dm was also her buddy on this dive if I understand correctly.
I don't think many were implying that a DM is responsible for anyones saftey in general, but in this case, the way it has been explained, is that the DM recognized that she was in distress and accompanied her almost to the surface.

And yes, I have seen DM's with a group of beginners swimming backwards the entire time keeping an eye on the divers and helping them with their issues.

Each location and each diver have different expectations of the DM's.

In a marine park part of the DM's job should be to protect the reef from the divers.

Me too. I will NEVER jump off a boat without: (1) taking 2 breaths on my primary, (2) taking 2 breaths on my Octo, (3) inflating my BC, just a bit to make sure power inflater works, (4) double check pressure to know how much air I've got, and (5) checking weights, make sure that they're in secure, but can release easily. Then I go through a mental checklist - air on & working, check; weights on & releasable, check; mask snug, check; flippers on & straps snug, check; BC cinched up and no loose straps, buckles, etc. to get tangled on, check. Just like a pilot has his pre-flight checklist before heading down a runway, every diver ought to have a quick pre-dive check of everything essential to a safe and easy dive.

From our OW instructor:

B ruce BCD
W illis Weights
R uins Regulator
A ll Air
F ilms Fins

From our OW instructor:

B ruce BCD
W illis Weights
R uins Regulator
A ll Air
F ilms Fins

The R is actually for "releases." That's where you check all your straps and buckles to make sure everything is connected and tightened. You check the regulator during the "A"ir phase of the mnemonic

The R is actually for "releases." That's where you check all your straps and buckles to make sure everything is connected and tightened. You check the regulator during the "A"ir phase of the mnemonic

Yes, you're right. I'd been summoned for dinner, and rushed. It's a cardinal rule here that when dinner is served, you had better show your appreciation.

Thanks for the correction.:)

Good afternoon. I hate that this is my first post on scubaboard...First of all or our thoughts and prayers go out to Tammy and her family. This was definitely one of the hardest things we have ever been a part of.
My wife and I were on the boat with Tammy. We were diving with another DM but after reading a lot of speculation on whether or not she removed the power inflator hose or if it failed I wanted to comment on one thing. The hose/bcd connection was not connected until we reached the dive site. At that point, she and the DM identified that the connection on the power inflator hose was not the same size as the connection on the BCD. Her only option was to inflate manually for the dive. We parted ways at the start of the dive so I don't want to speculate from there. Another reason I wanted to comment is to encourage everyone who reads this. If you don't feel good, don't go....No matter what!! I believe we are all responsible for making that decision before every single dive!

So your saying she knowingly dove with faulty equipment?

Thanks for posting and joining....we all joined to share the love of diving and to learn.

Good afternoon. I hate that this is my first post on scubaboard...First of all or our thoughts and prayers go out to Tammy and her family. This was definitely one of the hardest things we have ever been a part of.
My wife and I were on the boat with Tammy. We were diving with another DM but after reading a lot of speculation on whether or not she removed the power inflator hose or if it failed I wanted to comment on one thing. The hose/bcd connection was not connected until we reached the dive site. At that point, she and the DM identified that the connection on the power inflator hose was not the same size as the connection on the BCD. Her only option was to inflate manually for the dive. We parted ways at the start of the dive so I don't want to speculate from there. Another reason I wanted to comment is to encourage everyone who reads this. If you don't feel good, don't go....No matter what!! I believe we are all responsible for making that decision before every single dive!
Thank you for posting here, and for your very wise admonishment "if you don't feel good, don't go" Honestly, I can not imagine making the decision to continue after discovering such an issue as that. My thoughts and prayers are for her, her family and friends, and all who were involved. Just tragic.

Back
Top Bottom