Make Every Dive a Training Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Colliam7

Tech Instructor
Staff member
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
And, have fun doing it! (Spoiler Alert: this post is long. But, if you have time, and a cup of coffee handy, or some favorite refreshing adult beverage, give it a try.)

Several recent threads have re-kindled my interest in a topic that I have long believed is under-served in dive instruction and recreational diving: the need for regular skill practice after initial training and certification.

One of the threads (Accidents and Incidents Forum) described a tragic outcome – a diver was found unresponsive on the bottom and could not be revived after finally being brought to the surface. As with most accidents, the factual information is incomplete, and it is not possible to assert, with complete certainty, what occurred. But, the observation was made that the diver’s low pressure inflator hose was found to be disconnected. Was it not properly connected to begin with, and detached when she first attempted to use the power inflator after entering the water? Was there a small but annoying leak around the point of hose attachment, and the diver elected to disconnect the inflator hose (or someone else disconnected it for her)? Without a functioning power inflator, was the (possibly stressed) diver unable to maintain proper buoyancy control (e.g. establish positive buoyancy at the surface), using oral inflation?

The other thread involved a discussion of ‘negative entries’, and whether they are a bad idea, or not safe, etc. One post in that thread provided a link to a summary of an accident, somewhat well known to many NC divers, that occurred over a decade ago, where a diver entered the water, wearing double cylinders and therefore negatively buoyant, but with both cylinder valves turned off and therefore no air supply to either his second stages or his power inflator. The diver was unable to remove his rig as he descended, and drowned.

In Open Water Diver training (PADI in my case, but I imagine the process is not altogether dissimilar in other agency programs) we specifically teach, and require students to perform, BCD Oral Inflation, and establishing positive buoyancy at the surface using oral inflation. But, it is performed under comfortable, even controlled conditions, for the most part. That, however, is not the issue. Rather, the problem is, most (dare I say many) students never practice that skill again! Why would they need to? They have a power inflator! It works! Besides, the other related skill – disconnecting a low pressure inflator hose, is tough, it hurts the fingers, so why do it once it has been ‘mastered’ it for the course? And, dive gear is, frankly, incredibly reliable, and the chance of ever needing to use oral inflation because it is the ONLY technique available, is pretty small.

We also teach, and emphasize, the use of a Pre-Dive safety Check – in PADI terms it is BWRAF (BCD function, Weights, Releases, Air, Final Check), although some divers come to add an additional step or two. But, if performed correctly – either as a buddy team, or as a solo diver – a diver WILL NOT enter the water with a cylinder valve turned off. A diver WILL NOT enter the water with a disconnected, or not fully connected, LPI hose. It just won’t happen.

But, it does happen. Because, skills do not seem to be regularly practiced or performed after initial training.

OK, I get it. It is human nature. We learn to dive to have fun, don’t we? Why bother with those pesky skills, beyond making sure we can breathe off our regulator? Heck, who practices changing a automobile tire, just so they know how when they have a flat (for that matter, how many people even know where their spare 'donut' is stored)? That is what AAA is for isn’t it? Yep. Except, maybe when it is 2 in the morning, and that flat occurs in the middle of a long, lonely stretch of interstate highway, in the middle of nowhere – or, worse, in the middle of somewhere that you really don’t want to be - and you realize that you forgot to renew your AAA membership, or the next available service truck will be there – in only 4 short hours? (And, you are right, changing a tire is not part of Driver’s Ed, nor required as part of testing to obtain your license. But, just go with the analogy for now. :))

The skills that are included in Open Water training – including the Pre-Dive Safety Check, and BCD oral inflation – are there for a reason – as a diver you just might need them to prevent an Accident, or Incident! So, why not maintain proficiency in performing them? It isn’t that hard to build skill practice into an enjoyable, recreational dive, if you want to. Maybe, find a way to make skill practice a game, with your dive buddy. Now, a glimpse of a darker side - personally, as a diver (not as an Instructor) I think every diver should be able to complete an entire dive, using only oral BCD inflation. If they can’t, they should head back to the pool for refresher work. (OK, some might go even further – every diver’s rig should be so well-tuned, so balanced, that they can complete a recreational dive without a BCD at all. That’s what Mike Nelson did in Sea Hunt, why shouldn’t we do it? But, I am just suggesting baby steps at this point.) That, however, is just my personal bias. The bigger issue is practicing the skill.

My wife and I practice air sharing on a regular basis, as an example of skill maintenance. Yes, we have made it easy – we both dive 7’ primary hoses as part of our recreational kit. But, at some point on every dive trip, frankly on most quarry outings, we will practice air sharing (donor and recipient), and we still can enjoy a relaxed dive. That proficiency and comfort came in handy on St. Kitts over the Christmas holiday. I started off one dive with a light cylinder (2700 psi instead of 3000), and I normally use more air than my wife anyway. So, about halfway through, I simply took her long hose, she moved to her bungeed back-up, and we swam around looking at cool reef critters for a while. We both ended up back on the boat with 500 psi, after a very enjoyable dive.

I had a chance last summer to perform my first ever real CESA, from 27 feet in our local quarry. The reason I found myself OOA was purely / entirely / completely user error, and I have to work to correct the flaw (insidious complacency) that created the need for a CESA. But, it was frankly a good experience. Training kicked in, I made a safe, comfortable, timely ascent. I appreciate the fact that, as an Instructor, I have a bit of an advantage – I review that skill regularly as part of teaching Open Water. But, I believe that the reason it worked so well is that I also practice it regularly, even though I have always said I should never need it.

The point of these comments: make every dive a training dive. You don’t have to practice every skill, every time. But, work to build some type skill practice into each dive, be it mask remove/replace/clear, or disconnecting and reconnecting that LPI, or hovering, or verbalizing you pre-dive safety check (list), or …. You’ll be glad you did.

Absolutely agreed. Without regular practice, you'll never have the muscle memory or mental reflexes needed when something goes wrong. Heck, some skills may be forgotten altogether if you don't think about them after going through training.

I've done lots of practicing on dives and never found it to detract from my enjoyment at all. It makes the dive more interesting and is also quite reassuring.

I think too many divers have been injured or have died under circumstances that were entirely survivable if only they'd been more up to speed on their skills. It would be grand if that could stop happening.

I 'practice' oral BCD inflation because I used to be a bad air hog and inflating my BCD orally at the start of the dive (e.g.: before giant stride in) let me conserve a little air for breathing.

I make a special point to check the lower pressure inflator attachment from experience on Bonaire trips. I'd hook it up in the morning, not have to again when swapping tanks that day, disconnect it at night for the gear rinse, then gear up the next morning and forget to hook it back up. A few occurrences, and now I make a point of it...not because I expect to drown if I giant stride in and need to orally inflate without it, but the dive's smoother that way.

Giant strode in once with air turned off; since then, make a special effort to prevent that. This is a little troublesome because on setting up my gear, I often turn the valve on to check pressure, o-ring seal, etc..., then back off for the boat ride out. But now the reg. might give me a breath, even though the valve's off.

I think what's helped me hasn't been so much skill rehearsal (though I'm not challenging its value) as deliberate, methodical review of readiness pre-dive. What Rescue Dive and SDI Solo Diver teach, sort of a mindfulness exercise.

As for the reliableness of scuba gear, time has made me question that. Getting ready to go in, noticed 2nd stage cover was missing (back in a rinse tank). Getting a tank on, hose connection to 1st stage unscrewed enough to blow an o-ring. Shore dive entry, my buddy's 2nd stage came off his hose while we were wading out. Was at a shore site in Bonaire and met a diver who'd just had to abort a dive because a hose somehow 'blew' during his dive. A buddy's regulator hose was 'sweating' tiny beads of moisture and we were trying to figure out just how big a problem that might be. Dive computer got an internal leak (we think) & died during a dive.

I've only got around 320 lifetime dives. If I've seen that much in my limited experience...

Richard.

Good stuff! I'm a firm believer in recurrency! I even play 1000 question with my wife and daughter starting a week out before departure. I even review videos and send appropriate ones to them for review...then I quiz them :)

I

Giant strode in once with air turned off; since then, make a special effort to prevent that. This is a little troublesome because on setting up my gear, I often turn the valve on to check pressure, o-ring seal, etc..., then back off for the boat ride out. But now the reg. might give me a breath, even though the valve's off.

I
Richard.

It might waste a tiny bit of air, but if you purge the reg after doing the check, then the pressure will read zero and it will be harder to jump in with a pressurized regualtor and a tank off.

Also, a suggestion. It is good practice (not that I do it all the time) to fully inflate the BC with the power inflator while on the boat. This helps you to verify that the inflator mechanism is not sticking on and also the OPV are at least working and holding air. If you want to be really crazy with conserving air, blow it up completely orally on the boat, then tap the inflator, over pressurize the BC and will give you a check and you can do this to drain the air from the reg.. so very little waste.

Yep. I'm SO happy that I "fell into" a group of divers that practice their skills. I consider that a major part of my scuba education.

I probably carry the oral inflation to a slight extreme. On most of my recent dives I add air only orally even though the inflater is working properly and has been checked on boat before diving. I have had two instances when my inflater just would not add air to the BCD during the dive... So I decided I would go old school and orally inflate, but I still feel better knowing I can switch to the working inflater if I decide or need too.

Good stuff! I'm a firm believer in recurrency! I even play 1000 question with my wife and daughter starting a week out before departure. I even review videos and send appropriate ones to them for review...then I quiz them :)
Yeah pilots make very annoying partners in this sort of thing. Seems impossible to turn it off....

Completely agree with this post - I've sadly mainly been diving at locations where the typical diver either comes to get certified, or are certified but have very little experience (Central America and SEA). In my experience it is almost a majority of the certified divers I've dived with who might as well not be certified, I'm not even surprised anymore when I see people who can't set up their gear, or who needs a DM/guide (or buddy) to control their buoyancy for them to avoid them popping up as soon as you ascend a few metres. I'm currently looking into getting some more tech-oriented training to improve my own skills, as I believe that despite having DM training from PADI I could learn a lot from a basic GUE / ISE / UTD courses.

Sadly I've also seen huge amounts of shops where the training just isn't good enough, or where they prepare everything for fun-divers and barely give a brief, also I've met several certified divers who don't realise that they are actually certified to dive "alone" with a buddy, not only for when being dragged around by a professional.

That has lead to me wondering whether there is actually some kind of quality check for instructors to make sure their training is up-to-date and good enough ?? I'm guessing there is with all the tech/DIR-oriented agencies, but those are hardly the issue. I know that there are consequences if actual complaints are filed regarding a centre or instructor, but how can a new diver know that the training they received isn't good enough. Realistically it is fairly easy to live up to the standard e.g. PADI OW course requirements and still be a horrible diver afterwards. Hence making it easy for dive centres to set up a poor OW certification programme which checks all the boxes but doesn't properly teach the divers.

As soon as divers are aware of the fact that they are lacking skills or need to train to keep them they can do that by themselves, but if they aren't trained properly it's harder to know what to do.

Thanks @Colliam7. I was just thinking about this very thing. This emphasis on proficient skills and safety in tech diving is obvious as your margins for error shrink. I find it interesting that even with larger margins for error, there seems to be too little emphasis on skill development/maintenance in recreational diving. I'm not sure why such the big disparity. My regular buddy is a relatively new recreational diver. So I've been training her with an eye towards developing and maintaining skills on a regular basis. We practice buoyancy, air sharing, bailout deployment, etc in the water. We're working on developing a consistent checklist topside, and we play a lot of "what-if" scenarios. For two divers with different skill levels, it has become apparent that it's making us both safer divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom