Looking for reel suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aanderson81

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am looking to go with a group to do megalodon tooth diving in NC and was told by the person organizing the trip that a reel is required for the dive to clip onto the anchor line. Currently I only have a finger spool that I occasionally use for an SMB and was looking for recommendations on a reel. The LDS was recommending a $200 reel for this purpose and while I am sure its a great reel, it sounds a bit excessive for my use. I would like something that is a good value. I dont see myself getting into tech or cave diving. This is about the extent of the use for the reel.

LM....

(Light Monkey)

<$150 for a 200' reel....

Last edited:
Aanderson81, can you say what brand tge LDS was recommending? For comparison.
From what I have read, Manta Reel brand is the one most people like, but I don't know what model.

Aanderson81, can you say what brand tge LDS was recommending? For comparison.
From what I have read, Manta Reel brand is the one most people like, but I don't know what model.

It was one of the manta reels, but once he mentioned the north of $200 list price and that he can get me a deal on it for the ~$180 range i honestly stopped paying attention. I am sure its a great reel, but a tech diver i am not. I dont mind paying for quality equipment, but I want to pay for the right equipment. I guess the reason that he recommends it for these dives is that they dont tend to birds nest and when you only have a few minutes of bottom time that is important. So I see the point there, but if I can get the same functionality (aka good spooling without tangling) at half the price without a few bells and whistles I would be quite happy.

I guess KT is off the list then? :rofl3:

I guess KT is off the list then? :rofl3:

I completely understand that for certain circumstances a top of the line tool is needed. There are plenty of circumstances in my job and life where I pay a premium for a product because I've learned that in the long run the premium is well worth while for time saved or longevity. However unless I am rather wrong here (I think it may have happened once or twice) I dont see this being the case. There is quite a range of products between the $11 line spool and the $350 tech reel. I am not opposed to spending for the right tool, but I would like to do my research first before even considering something in the $150+ price range.

For a simple reel I like either a Halcyon/ Light Monkey (whatever you can get cheaper) reel or a Manta reel. I don't really like the ones with the spring handle but the CR-2 and Nano + are great little reels.

For tying off to the anchor line, I'll use either one of these reels depending on my plan for the dive.

I am thinking that this spool is because they expect to stir up the mud looking for the prize. and that maybe there will be current and that a simple spool without a lock and some thought about how to use it is not enough. keep in mind that I do not value a tooth, no matter how old over safety. and that I would be confident using a finger spool for $25. and I may not come back with a tooth, but I would certainly come back. btw if the current is significant, then you need a heavier line, and bigger spool.

Back
Top Bottom