Any decent diving near San Juan, Puerto Rico?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

freedc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have an opportunity to spend 3 days with my non-diving wife in San Juan, so I don't want to ditch her and spend go off diving (like in Vieques) so I was wondering if there are any decent sites near SJ that I could do a morning dive and be back for lunch?

Define "decent" - Scuba Dogs has a shop in Escambron Park which is shallow dive just a little east of the cruise pier. I don't think it gets very deep. www.scubadogs.net/

I think you're going to be disappointed in the clear Caribbean visibility though.
(not my video)

Painful to watch newbie divers like that but much appreciated link. If I think of San Juan diving as a nice warm quarry dive I'll have the right expectations. (Or I may opt for drinking by the hotel pool instead!)

If you are looking for a nice Caribbean type dive by San Juan don't dive here you will be disappointed. If you just want to get in the water then enjoy. The best diving in PR is in the Southwest...If you want details check my previous posting or send me an IM...

If you are looking for a nice Caribbean type dive by San Juan don't dive here you will be disappointed. If you just want to get in the water then enjoy. The best diving in PR is in the Southwest...If you want details check my previous posting or send me an IM...

Hi,

I have an opportunity to head to Puerto Rico this weekend, with a hotel near San Juan. Do you think it's worth the long drive to the southwest (2-3 hours?) for some diving there? The scuba dogs place is only like 10min from my hotel so that could be an easy option, but it sounds like it's pretty blah.

Define "decent" - Scuba Dogs has a shop in Escambron Park which is shallow dive just a little east of the cruise pier. I don't think it gets very deep. www.scubadogs.net/

I think you're going to be disappointed in the clear Caribbean visibility though.
(not my video)

Yuck - why is the visibility so poor there?

Yuck - why is the visibility so poor there?
It is a harbor. Also Puerto Rico is large enough to have rivers and rain forests. Rivers = silt.

To the OP some of the resorts have scuba operations. I spent a week on the north shore close to Yanqui (tropical rain forest) and did some snorkeling. On one of the trips there were some divers. Judging from the snorkeling I did it was definitely better than a quarry, Don't see large schools of blue tangs in a quarry.

As my previous post, the diving in San Juan is ok not up to par w the rest of the Caribbean. I just returned last night and I dove isthe South west ( Guanica PR.) I am from the next town over (Sabana Grande ) and you won't be disappointed. I took a co-worker and his wife and they were very pleased. I recommend you take the drive and use IslandScuba
Island Scuba Diving San Juan Puerto Rico & Guanica

You can book online

The drive there is a nice four lane highway, the views are awesome...

If you need a place to stay let me know I can recommend some

Do people think La Perguera / Guanica are appropriate for a beginner diver (17 dives w/ AOW)?

The lack of a floor makes me a bit nervous.

Maybe better to try Rincon or Desecheo? I'll be flying into San Juan friday afternoon, and have only Saturday to dive, so my time is extremely limited.

Last edited:
Talk w Pedro, Guanica and Parguera are famous for its wall however there are also have tons of different dive sites. We dove a site call Aquarium, a 40 feet reef full of fish and healthy corals...
I have a friend in Mayaguez, Papo Braulio that owns The Dive Shop-Mayaguez. You can Google him up. He has tons of shallow sites in the Mayaguez area. Crashboat, El natural in the Aguadilla area could also be an option. Check W Rafa Rafols at Auquatica Dive and Surf in agaudilla. Rincon is a good option too!

Back
Top Bottom