Fusion Drysuit - Can't Stay Warm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Throw the under armor away and get some merino wool. It made a huge difference for me. I felt like the under armor held the moisture to my body instead of wicking it.

White's Fusion Bullet + DUI XM450 + Underarmor Cold 2.0 Base + dry gloves = Plenty warm in 38F water for 2 hour dives. Above 50F, I ditch the base layer. I wear a 10mm hood in cold water.

In 72F-ish Florida caves, I wear only the base layer and ditch the dry gloves and hood.

I thoroughly considered the thermal Fusion, but concluded that it wasn't enough insulation for truly cold water.

@Taath
You did not indicate if you dive with a hoodie? Heat loss through the head is significant and a hoodie makes a massive difference.

I feel quickly cold especially around the neck, IMO the thin silicone/latex neck seal is not helping. In this regard I use an one piece circular scarf. The additional barrier between neck and seal IMO reduces heat loss by another 20-30%.

Hope this helps someone, works for me.

@Taath
You did not indicate if you dive with a hoodie? Heat loss through the head is significant and a hoodie makes a massive difference.

I feel quickly cold especially around the neck, IMO the thin silicone/latex neck seal is not helping.
I have to admit that I didn't even think about diving dry without a proper hood and a good warmneck on the suit. Rule #2 for keeping warm in the cold is to keep your head warm. And rule #3 is to avoid cold bridges.

Hey all. So I tried my Lavacore as a base layer. Seemed to make a pretty big difference. It did a good job of wicking away the moisture.

I have been having flexibility issues with my Fusion suit. Wondering if the thermal Fusion is a part of that.

Been contemplating getting a MK2. Looks like it's a bit thinner and might afford more flexibility.

Figure if I put a nice merino wool base layer on with the MK2 I should be okay in 50+ degree waters? Also considering the MK0 for base layer. For reference, I am diving 3mm gloves and hands aren't getting cold......

The MK2 is not very warm. It's single layer fleece. I have it.

If you don't have full range of motion with your Fusion undergarment on outside of the suit, you won't have it with the drysuit on. Your Fusion may be too small.

Scott, good point. I may have went too small with the thermal fusion thinking I needed it to be very snug fitting.

So I went out today and looked at some options for base layers. Spent some time at Cabelas and an Underamour store.

Arizona is probably the worst place to be looking for this type of stuff. Found very few merino wool base layers. Lots and lots of polyester options though.

Currently I'm using the Cabela's Extreme Cold Weather System polar weight base layer with Polartec powerstretch. Looking at that, the activity level is meant for sedentary; well, I wouldn't classify diving as sedentary, at least not for me. So I am wondering if the polar stuff is more focused on warmth than wicking, would make sense if you're not planning on being very active.

So I looked at the Cabela's midweight and tech silk stuff. Again all polyester but progressively lighter. Also took a look at some of the underarmor cold gear stuff with the infrared system in. But then I started thinking: most of the time surface temperatures are 70+ when I am putting on my drysuit. I am wondering if I would be better served with something like an underarmor heat gear. Something very thin and hopefully very fast wicking to get the moisture off my skin as fast as possible. I am thinking that my feeling cold is a result of the moisture on my skin, even though I am covered by the thermal fusion.

So now I'm back to the drawing board:

1. A lighter base layer that is a synthetic (likely polyester) something like this: HH DRY PERFORMANCE CREW
  2. A combo synthetic/merino wool like this: HH WARM ICE CREW
  3. A mid-weight synthetic like this: Cabela's Men's E.C.W.C.S. Medium Weight Crew with Polartec Power Dry – Regular : Cabela's
  4. A light base layer synthetic like #1 or an underamor heat gear with my current polar weight base layer on top of that
Any thoughts?

I dive in temps down in higher 30's at depth. I also have low body fat. I wear UA Compression baselayer, heated vest, then a UA Base layer 4, and then a base layer 5.
Then my thermal fusion.

Hands, dry lined smurf gloves, with a silk glove liner. Feet, wicking sock, expedition weight merino wool socks,and a 6mm neoprene sock.
I recently switched to argon for suit gas, and it made a HUGE difference.

But this is all for multi hours dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom