Sidemount Practice at the local YMCA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FiddlerOnTheRoof

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
This is an older video that I did while fine-tuning and practicing my sidemount skills in a pool. I've had a few people ask me to post it as they found it useful for some reason... I am not a sidemount instructor and being in the northeast I do not do cave diving nor do I claim to be an expert in sidemount. Most of what I know comes from reading, studying and my own research that includes watching and experiencing various "methods" of doing sidemount diving.

I have now been diving sidemount, when needed, for a few years and also dive back mount and often double back-mount or doubles. Sidemount diving to me is a tool that I use only when I need to achieve a certain dive, and such configuration presents itself as the best setup option for the occasion. Here in New England I use sidemount configuration mostly for shore diving, especially lake or quarry diving. I prefer back-mount doubles for wreck diving of a boat for personal reasons such as or typical rough sea conditions.

So here it is... I hope it can be useful to someone. Remember, at the time I filmed this video I too was learning and getting familiar with this setup and there are a few things I have improved over the years. But IMO it can be a good start for a beginner looking for some examples!

Welp, 10 days late but hey.

2 things:
That dangling spg is causing unnecessary drag and could become annoying if for some reason you work on line. Not necessarily caveline, I'm more into fishing line that I collect, and I know those would annoy the hell out of me.
Those dangling bits from the adjustable harness are one of the reasons I don't like adjustable shoulder (?) straps. Surely there's a way of getting rid of those.

BTW: kneeling on the bottom for a mask removal after some more than 3k dives? Even in a pool, it's a bad habit imo.

Edit: Yes I did point out only "negatives", please don't see that as an insult. :)

Last edited:
Too many dangly bits.

Welp, 10 days late but hey.

2 things:
That dangling spg is causing unnecessary drag and could become annoying if for some reason you work on line. Not necessarily caveline, I'm more into fishing line that I collect, and I know those would annoy the hell out of me.
Those dangling bits from the adjustable harness are one of the reasons I don't like adjustable shoulder (?) straps. Surely there's a way of getting rid of those.

BTW: kneeling on the bottom for a mask removal after some more than 3k dives? Even in a pool, it's a bad habit imo.

Edit: Yes I did point out only "negatives", please don't see that as an insult. :)

Thanks for the input, but as I mentioned this video was a few years ago.. also I was getting used to the new equipment. One of the problems I was having at the time with that setup was that I kept getting feet heavy, this is the reason why you saw me on my knees! 3K Dives? 2,575 dives to be exact! LOL :poke::yeahbaby:

Thanks for the input, but as I mentioned this video was a few years ago.. also I was getting used to the new equipment.

Then my comment will be for those that looked at your video and want to see it as a starting point, that they cant remove the dangly bits that aren't needed :D (because some ARE needed :eyebrow: )

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom