Best Rotator Cuff Treatment for Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bubblesong

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
This is not me but several different friends have complained of Rotator Cuff pain and/or limited movement that can curtail diving. So two items I an asking;
1) what are the best stretches/preventive action I can know about to prevent this happening?
2) what is the best treatment to get back to full mobility to be able to reach all valves?

Any experiences/ suggestions of where to look would be appreciated!

Fitness for Divers: Cameron L. Martz: 9780977071906: Amazon.com: Books
Good book.
Unfortunately I fell, am now in a sling for 6 weeks following RC surgery to repair 3 of the 4 muscles in the cuff, followed by some months of additional PT to get my strength back. It would have been easier and less painful to have done the exercises in the book.

Rotator cuff is a complicated joint. For strengthening the actual RC muscles there are some very specific exercises. Which ones depend on which muscles are affected. These are not BIG HEAVY weight exercises. Do that kind of workout with your RC joint out of whack and you risk making the problem worse. The RC muscles manipulate and align the shoulder joint so the larger muscles can actually move the arm and do the work. If they don't work correctly, the joint won't work properly.

The other big issue is adhesive capsulitis (frozen shoulder). That's a whole different problem with a completely different approach. It can take months to clear up this issue.

There is no predictably easy answer for shoulders. Do the wrong exercise, you can make it worse. This is one where a professional analysis of the joint issues and appropriate therapy are indicated. I'd see a decent PT or Sports Med Dr.

^^^^ +1!

they should seek medical help (do they know what exactly is wrong/injured?).... having had each shoulder surgically repaired (SLAP tears), proper re-strengthening & range of motion exercises in a controlled (PT) environment was critical.

Or, go side mount...:stirpot:..

Arms out, elbows at 90* along the outside of a door jamb and lean one foot/hips forward into the room for 30 seconds, then the other foot for 30 seconds doing three reps everyday. three times a day if possible.

There is a new RC issue arising out of ipads and similar note books people are using in bed and chairs!

I had a frozen shoulder just before I started diving. My shoulder mobility was between 10 and 30% of what it should have been, depending upon the movement. I couldn't raise my arm over my shoulder and if I tried to make circles with my arm out they would only be a few inches round.

Thankfully no surgery but it did take six months of PT 3x per week with the last 10% taking the longest. Mostly just stretching the shoulder joint. I can reach my tank valves now but it does get stiff every now and then and regular stretching would be beneficial.

Get a medical evaluation from an orthopedic physician. This will likely entail an initial referral to a physical therapist and perhaps an injection of a corticosteroid. The PT will design the best program of exercises to address your issue. If this does not solve the problem, follow-up may involve an MRI and possible surgery, followed by more PT. Surgery will likely be a 6-7 week process. If you do have to have surgery get an easy chair or enough pillows to let you sleep mostly upright on a couch. You likely won't be able to lie down, for weeks.

If you do have to have surgery get an easy chair or enough pillows to let you sleep mostly upright on a couch. You likely won't be able to lie down, for weeks.
Almost eight weeks for me.

Have been diving for 25 years. 3 RC surgeries in last 10 years; 2 of which were major repairs to the same RC. Recommendations:
If it hurts, see your sports medicine orthopod. Always better to fix or rehab it early and not wait until full thickness tears and compromised labrum
Do exactly as the orthopod says.This includes clearance to dive again.
Do not cowboy up
Do not lift heavy tanks with outstretched arms.
Previous note above is a strict law: you can always make it worse with the wrong exercises done incorrectly.
Rehab with purpose and follow the PT instructions to the letter. Slower equals quicker with less chance for a re-tear.

Back
Top Bottom