Filmmaker Rob Stewart dies off Alligator Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

guys just because you've only been on Facebook page for one day doesn't mean you've only had one day of ccr training. I understand that all ccrs are different but I've seen video clips of him filming on a ccr. So I would assume he's quite experienced on ccrs.
you have a good point, my understanding is he had just done mod 3, if so, not as wild as it may appear at first blush. Would I do three >200 ft dives in a single day? No, but we all have different risk tolerance.

guys just because you've only been on Facebook page for one day doesn't mean you've only had one day of ccr training. I understand that all ccrs are different but I've seen video clips of him filming on a ccr. So I would assume he's quite experienced on ccrs.

That is another assumption.

All it takes to be filmed whist filming on a CCR is being CCR trained plus having another video camera to use. If you're aggressive enough then you can take that video literally the day after you're first CCR certified (not really wise to do that because your buoyancy control is probably still quite flail-ey, but there's nothing inherently stopping anyone).

I am sure that was the initial thought. The problem is that if a diver passes out and begins to sink, that sinking would take a while, especially at the beginning. Any current would cause the body to drift.

If you read the book Shadow Divers, you will see the story of a man who died while diving the submarine they were trying to identify at a depth similar to this one. One of the other divers tried to recover the body and pull it up the ascent line. After a while he lost his grip and the body sank back down. That body was accidentally discovered much later, and it was 5 miles from where it sank.

Thanks for the info. That doesn't sound good.

His buddy passed out, began to sink & immediately rescued. I imagine it happened to him similarly, except he didn't get rescued immediately since he gave OK sign.

There is a photo of Rob on the Add Helium Facebook page - looks like day 1 of trimix training was Friday. Praying for him.

I just took a look at the FB page. The caption correlating to the only image that I found that includes Rob Stewart states that the the photograph of a normoxic trimix class was posted on Sept. 25, 2016, and not last Friday as seems to be inferred in the above quote.

I just took a look at the FB page. The caption correlating to the only image that I found that includes Rob Stewart states that the the photograph of a normoxic trimix class was posted on Sept. 25, 2016, and not last Friday as seems to be inferred in the above quote.

I believe they're referencing this picture from Jan. 27 which, when I saw it earlier on my computer, referenced a first dive for a trimix class.

Possibly only with the CCR he was used to using. And some CCR divers put off the MOD2 or MOD3 training for years.

Update on the search:

At last count, 13 volunteer aircraft were in the sky and 20 volunteer boats were out on the water, [U.S. Coast Guard Senior Chief Nyx] Cangemi told CBC Toronto in a telephone interview Thursday afternoon.

As many as 15 volunteer divers were searching on Wednesday, he said.

The water temperature in the area is about 24 C, Cangemi said, and the seas are calm and the winds are light, all favourable conditions for a search.

Search continues for Canadian filmmaker Rob Stewart, missing after Florida dive

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom