Zoop acting odd

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maat1976

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been happily diving a Zoop three years now.

Today it started getting a bit nuts on me. I did not violate deco time, but my deco time was jumping all over with me not changing depth (10m approximately). It was 35, 6, 2, then 67. Just jumping all over, and with literally no change in depth. I know the computers conservatism, but this was odd, and I dare say "out of character". Anyone had this? Could it be battery issues?

Thanks.

I assume that whenever you said DECO time you really ment No-DECO time was jumping around. The most common issues people had with Zoops and other puck style Suunto computers were the pressure (aka depth) sensor. It could be salt build-up so warm water, overnight soaks and a lot of blowing in the sensor slots could be a fix but what was recorded? Does DM5 (or whatever your using) show your depth changing?

Just below 10m is where you NDL starts to drop off sharply but it should still be fairly smooth not jumping around and you shouldn't see 2 anywhere near that depth.

Yes correct. I'm a bit sleepy. I meant no deco time.

Yes, like I said, it was acting super weird, and 2 is like stupid considering my Max depth was 20m and not for very long. It didn't make any sense. Previous dive was also of similar depth/time with appropriate SI.

I'll soak it and see what happens.

The depth sensor is going. I have probably seen this happen on at least 5 Suunto's. The cost is not worth it so just get ready for a new computer.

After less than 200 dives? Seems poor. It wasn't having depth issues.

What ever happened here? Just wondering cause i'm in the market.

I had a friend with a zoop that was having issues with the depth reading, it was a 4 year old unit so he wasn't expecting warranty coverage when he brought it to the dealer. After a few days he was informed that it will be replaced with a new unit and was told that pressure sensor issues are covered by Suunto within 5 years of purchase. (this was in the Philippines so I'm not sure what the coverage is in your area). So it might be worth taking to your dealer to check if it is covered.

Zoop Replaced

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom